6

Becky bolts upright in bed as she gasps for air. She raises a hand to her chest as she catches her breath. The darkened room is lit only by the light escaping the creaked open bathroom door. As the air starts to return to her lungs, Becky takes a moment to survey the room. A smile breaks out on her face as she glances towards the sprawled out body of the tiny human next to her. Just as she calms down her heart jolts with fear and anxiety as a figure steps out from the shadows of the room.
"What's wrong Rebecca? Have a nightmare?" Shawn asks sinisterly. A grin plasters his face when he sees just how terrified his soon-to-be ex-wife is.
"How did you...what are you doing here, Shawn," Becky stutters out as she moves slightly to block Ella.
"I came to have a discussion like we used to. Before you decided to lie and destroy our family." Shawn states calmly but Becky can see the anger in his eyes. She's been on the receiving end of many of his 'discussions'. The movement of the bed behind her makes her heart sink.
"Momma?"
"Hey, El," Becky whispers gently as one hand goes to tame some of her fair locks. "Why don't you go see if one of your aunts will let you have a sleepover?"
"No, Rebecca, I think she needs to stay," Shawn intervenes and approaches the bed. Ella burrows further into her mother at the sight of her father. Her tiny frame shakes with fear for her momma.
"No, Ella, please go," Becky pleads and pushes the little girl away from her father and towards the door. Ella senses the urgency in her mother and bolts.
"You shouldn't have done that!" The anger is clearly evident in Shawn's voice as he grabs a hold of Becky. She tries to loosen his grip but ultimately it's a lost cause.
----------------------------------------------------------
"Help! Please!" Ella screams as she runs out into the hallway. Her little heart races as she tries to think of what to do. A door creeks open revealing a concerned and tired looking Alyssa. "Aunt Lyssa, help!" Ella cries as she launches herself into the older woman.
"Woah, calm down little one! What's going on?" Alyssa questions as she embraces the young girl.
"My dad...my dad is here with...with Momma," Ella gasps out as her fear catches up with her. A figure starts moving in the room behind them.
"What's going on?" Ash asks as she rubs the sleep from her eyes. Alyssa gives her a look that says it's bad and then turns back to the girl.
"El, why don't you go find aunt Ali or Kelley, ok? Everything's gonna be alright," Alyssa reassures the girl even though an inkling tells her it might be a lie. Ella nods her head and goes toward one of her other aunts'rooms. "We need to go now," Alyssa states urgently to Ashlyn.