39

"You survived," Becky jokes as she exits the bathroom. Her comment causes a laugh from Zola. He set down his book on the side table and pulls back the comforter so that the blonde can join him on the bed. "I told Hao she could put El to bed so that I could ask what was your response to them," Becky asks, getting in the bed.
"I didn't say anything," he admits honestly. "I'll let my actions speak for me instead."
"That's fairly bold of you," Becky replies, impressed by his ability to take everything the team had thrown his way.
"There is one thing though," Zola begins. His tone immediately causes Becky to look at him. Her eyebrows quirk to indicate that she's listening. "Ashlyn and Alyssa talked about that...uh...night," Zola confesses, unsure of how to address what happened.
"Can we talk about this another time," Becky requests, turning away. She can't handle rehashing that night at the moment. Zola merely sighs in response and follows her lead. Both shift in an attempt to go to sleep.
---------------------------------------------------------
"Hey kiddo, your mom's letting me put you to bed tonight," Heather announces as she enters the seven year old's room.
"Oh, ok," Ella replies half-heartedly. Her response surprises the older woman.
"Hey, is everything okay, El," Heather asks, sitting on the end of the girl's bed. She's not sure where this new attitude from the little blonde is coming from but she's going to get to the bottom of it. Ever since this morning Ella has been acting off in Heather's opinion.
"Everything's fine Aunt Hao," Ella answers, looking away. Both her response and actions cause immediate red flags to go up in Heather's mind.
"Nope, we both know that's not the truth," Hao retorts, voiding the previous answer.
"I just...I'm...I want everything to stay good," Ella admits timidly. Her hands fiddle with the edge of her comforter. She refuses to look up at her aunt, not wanting her fears to be validated.
"El, I don't think I get what you're saying," Heather admits. Her hand raises to lift the little girls chin so that their eyes can meet.
"I...don't want things to be like before...but I...don't think everything will stay good either," Ella attempts to explain to the best of her ability. Ever since her melt down a few days ago, she's been worried about this. Deep down she's terrified that everything will go back to the terrifying and control oriented environment she'd spent most of her life in.
"Sweetheart, I can absolutely promise you that you'll never have to live like you were before," Heather states with sincerity. "Your mom and all your aunts will make sure of that. You don't need to worry about this stuff anymore. You should worry about books and soccer. The adults will take care of the rest."
"Ok,...please don't tell momma what I said," Ella requests uncertainly. She doesn't want to hurt her Momma's feelings or cause any problems.
"I guess," Heather replies uncertainly. She resolves to mention something to her friend but not state what Ella said outright. Her plan makes it so that she'll keep the promise and protect her goddaughter.
=============================
          Zola smiles as he watches Becky walk towards him.  His breath catches as he takes in her beauty.  The white dress fits her perfectly.  She smiles in return, not entirely believing that this is real.  The blonde is finally marrying the love of her life. The scene suddenly changes to inside their Portland home.
          "Please Zola,...stop, please," Becky begs through sobs as she follows Zola through the house.  He carries a bag in his hand as he walks toward the suitcase waiting near the door.  Ella and Virginia cling to his legs.  Each of them cry out for Zola who seems to not notice their presences.
           "No, this is your fault Rebecca," Zola screams back.  He leans down to pry both girls off of his legs.  The man does nothing to comfort either of them as he grabs the suitcase and slams the door behind him.  The girls cry out for him in inconsolable states.  Becky falls to her knees then as the sobs overtake her body.
          Becky bolts upright as she returns to consciousness.  She shudders at the memory of her nightmare.  The vision had been occuring in a varying forms for weeks now.  Knowing she won't fall back to sleep, Becky gets out of bed and checks on Virginia.  The baby smiles up at the sight of her mother.  Becky picks her up and heads downstairs to the kitchen.  She's surprised to find Heather in it, already awake.
           "Why are you up so early," Becky questions softly.  She studies the other woman, recognizing the same worry in Heather's eyes that is probably in her own.
            "Couldn't I be asking you the same," Heather retorts before taking the baby out of Becky's arms.  Becky shrugs in return before heading to pour herself a cup of coffee that Hao had made.  The duo end up sitting shoulder to shoulder.  Each deciding to give the other a little more time before delving into what's really going on.  For the moment they're both content to sit and embrace the other's company.

===============================
Sore phone it's been so long. I honestly have no idea where to go with this so any suggestions are welcome