The Journey

A/N: This one's a bit longer and isn't cut into a bunch of scenes. I should try to do this more.

Dany

The horse Daenerys would be riding to Winterfell was gorgeous. It was silver with white speckles on it's back, and a long, braided flowing mane. It made her think of her own hair, with its many braids for her many victories in Essos.

Jon's, on the other hand, was a plain dark brown. He seemed to be having trouble with it. It kept shifting away from him whenever he tried to climb on.

"Never ridden a horse before?" Dany teased him from atop hers. Hers was an absolute angel.

Jon sent her a playful glare. "I've ridden many more horses than you, I bet. In the north we don't have dragons to ride. This ones just a bad horse."

"Hey, don't blame the horse," she protested. "Blame the rider."

"I blame the dragons," He muttered. "It probably senses them nearby." He gave the horse a pat on its side.

Suddenly Dany's horse was acting strange. It shuffled its feet nervously, while looking around with its big eyes. Daenerys tried patting her comfortingly, but that just spooked her more. It reared up on its back legs, almost throwing Dany off.

"Woah there, girl," Dany hung on as the horse was brought back onto all fours. She thanked her experience riding dragons, as they were tough to stay on, especially when Drogon was smaller.

Jon looked to Lord Manderly. "What's going on?" Then suddenly, a growling sound could be heard.

Lord Manderly seemed to pale slightly. "The wolves. There's been a huge pack of wolves lurking around White Harbor for the past few days. I completely forgot about them with all that's happened yesterday."

"A pack of wolves? How many?" Jon questioned.

"About twenty." Lord Manderly stated. "And the leader of the pack, she's a beast. Her and her wolves killed a whole group of my men spare one, when I sent them off to get rid of them. The survivor said that she was the biggest wolf he's ever seen, as big as a horse."

"That's too many to fight," Dany states.

"A direwolf!" Jon suddenly seemed excited. "She has to be one of the Stark wolves! Maybe Arya's!"

"Does this wolf have a name?" Dany wondered.

"Nymeria." This made Dany smile. The girl loves her warriors.

"Well, whoever she once was, she isn't anymore. She's a beast, a killer. The only way you'll survive a fight with her is with her dead, and her wolves without a leader," Lord Manderly stated.

The growls around them grew louder. The horses were terrified. Dany had carefully gotten off of hers when she had the chance.

"We should back away from the horses," Jon said, while stepping away from his shaking mount. Dany listened, joining him next to Lord Manderly.

It was a good thing they did. Suddenly, a loud snarl was heard and a big wolf jumped out of the shadow of the trees, attaching itself to the neck of Jon's horse. A few more appeared and joined the first wolf in bringing down the horse. They all looked well fed, and muscular. The horse was down in a matter of seconds, with its head nearly ripped off. A gnarly sight.

The wolves turned to them, not bothering to eat their kill. They're killing for sport. The four of them growled at them, crouching, ready to pounce. And then they did.

Dany was pulled behind her Unsullied guards by Ser Jorah, who was remaining silent until the battle began. Every one of her closest advisors were out there with her, surrounded by the growing number of wolves. They were only expecting to be riding to Winterfell today, not getting attacked by a pack of wolves right when they left the walls of White Harbor.

"Stay here," Jorah directed, before pushing back through the guards to join the fight. Dany sighed, then felt Missandei grab her hand. Dany looked into the worried eyes of her friend, which probably mirrored her own.

"We'll be okay," she tried to assure both Missandei and herself.

"Fuck!" She heard Jon swear. She suddenly felt even more nervous, as she realized Jon was out there with a pack of wolves ravaging them and their horses. A man screamed at what could only be his arm getting torn to bits.

Daenerys wondered why her dragons hadn't shown up to save them. They must be too far away to feel her distress. She sighed, they were alone in this.

She looked over the heads of her guards, to see what was going on. Men were getting bitten from left to right. Some men were dead from bites to the throat. Only one wolf was dead, with a wound through its head.

Just when things couldn't get worse, the largest wolf she's ever seen walked out of the trees. Her gray fur was stunning. It seemed that she wasn't fighting, just watching. That is, until she saw Jon. The direwolf let out a short howl, and suddenly the wolves stopped tearing into everyone. They all looked at their leader, confused.

The beast took a few steps, until she was inches from Jon's face. Jon looked completely calm.

"Hey, girl. Do you remember me? It's Jon, Arya's brother," Jon said softly. The wolf looked into his eyes, ears perking up at his next words. "Your name is Nymeria. See? I know you." He laughed, reaching out a hand for the second time in the past day.

It was an odd sight, the wolves staring as the man put a hand on their leader's nose, and then petting her as she let him. Around them lay the bodies of a few men and the one unfortunate wolf.

Jon looked back towards Dany and the others. "Looks like the wolves won't be a problem. In fact, they can be great traveling partners." He looked back at Nymeria. "Isn't that right? Do you want to see Arya again?"

Nymeria's tongue lolled out as she seemed to nod. Jon chuckled and pet her again, then walked over to them.

"Jon, you're hurt," She said, grasping his arm and looking at the deep bite on his forearm.

"I'll get patched up, don't worry," he assured her. She still worried. "Well, why don't we head off?"

Dany looked around. "We're short of a few horses, yours included." She saw with delight, that her horse made it out unscathed. Others weren't so lucky.

An hour later, they were off, riding along the road to Winterfell, with the Dothraki riding and the Unsullied marching behind them. Not to forget about the twenty wolves and direwolf, and the dragons flying above.

They were getting closer to the army of the dead.

A/N: I do take constructive criticism, as I'm quite the beginner.