Chapter 6

It was like she was walking in slow-motion towards me

It was like she was walking in slow-motion towards me. Under her dark eyes, dark hair, covering her white pale Asian skin, she wore a red checkered, elbow length, fannel shirt, jeans and cowboy boots and a wool purse that hung over her left shoulder. She had a pleasingly smile across her face and somehow that made me nervous? Why? Well...

Because it wasn't a smile. It wasn't fake. It-It was real. To be honest, it kinda scared me, too. I didn't know how to feel or how to reaction.

Gloria grabbed my arm and shoved me back into my seat, making me yelp. I looked at her in disbelief. I felt like I couldn't breathe. I wanted to pound on my chest, but I didn't wanna seem rude. The woman sat down across from us and extended her hand.

She had beautiful hands, her fingers where long and skinny along with manicure nails. I quickly reached over and shook her tough hand. I withdrawaled, hoping I didn't yank away.

I couldn't look at her face again. I didn't want too. I looked down at my hands in my lap.

"Sorry for being late, Gloria. I," the lady scoffed and I heard her ruffle through her purse. "I had to make sure my kids got back from school on time." Damn, she said kids. Damn. AND she said my social worker's first name. I almost looked up. Um, how did she know her first name?

"Oh, it's fine," Gloria replied and reached over and patted the lady's hand. "Would you like something to eat, drink? You know, that was quite a drive."

The lady sighed in relief. "Actually, yes. Thanks so much, Gloria."

"No problem," she cooed and called for Oscar. I rolled my eyes that looked down at my lap. Oh, great. Oscar. This couldn't get any better, can it?

I smelled a manly smell. Oscar has arrived and I'm sure flashing his charming smile.

"Yes, need any refills," he asked.

"Maybe another menu, Oscar, thank you."

Oscar nodded. "Yes, give me a second to get that for you." He craned his head towards me. "Miss...would you like a refill, or can I take your plate?"

I felt a nudge from Gloria's elbow. What? I scanned my eyes towards her. She just nudged me again. I didn't lift my head because I didn't know what she wanted.

I heard a voice murmur from across the table. From beside me, Gloria clicked her tongue.

Then she did something I will forever hate her forㅡ

She tickled my side. I exclaimed and bucked away from her. I looked up and at Oscar.

"Yes- huh- what- yes," I stammered, the tickle still tickling my side and decided to crawl up it. I looked down at my untouched food and untouched water. "Um...yes, thank you. I'm, I'm not hungry," I sighed and brushed my hair behind my ear. "I'm sorry." In sync Oscar and I both reached for my plate, our fingers brushed from under it.