Chapter 11

"Mom, I lost my phone again," the younger one mentioned tearfully.

"I know," Beer answered. "Your principal called me. Missing phone posters. Really, Deewa?" She sounded more sympathetic then upset.

"It's not just a phone, though. It's an iPhone." Beer didn't seem to skip a beat. I sure did.

"Yeah, don't worry. It'll end up in the school's lost and found."

"And if it doesn't? Could I get a new one?" Deewa pushed the subject. "Remember an iPhone 6s."

"Don't hold your breath."

"Man..." she muttered.

"Titana, any problems with you this after school evening?"

Titana shook her head. "No, I'm good." She pointed to her school bag. "Homework." Then the unthinkable happened. Her eyes diverted over to me. A smile plastered her full lips. I wondered what she was thinking. "Hi."

"Oh," Momma Asian exclaimed and clapped her hands. Gloria and I leaped out our skins. For everyone else: not a muscle. "Titana, Deewa." She went to the girls and stood with them. "This is Bella." They were moving closer as she spoke. "Bella, these are Titana and Deewa. Say 'Hey.'"

"Hey," we said in unison. I studied them individually. Titana looked friendly. Deewa, not so friendly. She smelled a noobie.

"Bella will be staying with us for a while." Beer informed. Titana's smile widened to my surprise.

"Awesome!"

"Yay," Deewa said rather dryly.

"Alright. Go do that homework." Beer dismissed them both. "Lill, while I hustle up with Gloria, could you show Bella where she'll be sleeping. Don't forget the tour."

"Let's go, kiddo." Lillian ordered me. Her arms seemed glued to her chest. I looked up at Gloria for reassurance.  She nodded with a smile and gave my shoulder a genuine squeeze. I took a deep breath and walked out her arm. I followed Lillian out the secondary entry line of the kitchen, a white swinger door where it intercepted with the next lodge. It had a den vibe to it. "This is the den. This is where we theater out; Netflix, YouTube, Huluㅡall that connection. Come in here whatever you want. No rules expect turn off the T.V when you're done with this room altogether." 

The color plan to this room beige and rainbow colors. What made the rainbow colors were the beanbag chairs and cushions. A sleeper sofa, one black couch with four individual seating facing the flat screen T.V standing on the oak entertainment center with individual components neatly stocked with movies, the remotes and other accessories such as picture frames, etc.

"Alright, here we go." We went through the den and into a study office/library. I glazed around and never saw so many books in my entire life without being in a public library. Bookshelves were stocked with books. How could they afford so much books? I walked along with shelves and browsed through the aisles. It was from Science fiction to general fiction. How on earth could this family afford something like this? Were they drug dealers? Were they filthy rich and I just couldn't tell? How, how, how, I kept asking myself. "I know what you're thinking." Lillian's voice drawing my attention to her and rising up my heart rate. "How does one room look like a studying hall..."

Modern desk and chairs, contemporary sofas, oh...and would you look at that... usual lockers having different handwork designs on each of them...I don't think I could take much more of this. "Actually I wasn'tㅡ" I tried to protest but she waved a hand.

"Look at this way," she started. "Imagination having more than one kid, older than twelve and they come home...needing to studying with no library in distance. Do you know how tiring that is to try to help each and everyone of them? Extremely. So," She extended both arms from left and right, gesturing our surroundings. I gulped and looked around myself, registering her sarcastic firm voice. "what do you do? Construct." She folded her arms again. As I stood there like a rage doll, she studied me.

I wondered what she was thinking? Why on earth am I here? Why do I seem so suspicious? So caution. Without another word, she stalked out the room. I followed. Walking down a corridor, heading back towards front door, ahead were turnout bull nose stairs waiting for the both of us. Okay...I totally didn't see the form of these on the way in.

Lillian was already on the landing waiting for me. I haven't even stepped up the front step yet. My hand was only planted on the newel. I was staring down at the front step. What was I going to see on the second level of this...house? Could I even call it that...The first floor almost killed me. Imagine the second.

Okay, Bella. You can do this. Lillian whistled. I exhaled deeply to blow out the anxiety and tapped my way up to Lillian. She was already going up the second layer of stairs when I made the 90° degree turn to follow her. Model smiles from baby to I'm guessing now photos staring passed my each step. For some reason...it was creepy.

The second floor wasn't...normal! AT ALL. The diamond shaped plush dark carpeted foyer was occupied with more two contemporary couches and chairs, more beanbags, a 18th century Chaise longue, a 3 foot closet entertainment center, gamer posters among other ones and pictures on the wall, tables holding lamps and nothing but little of house junk...Not junk junk, but you know.

I was only not beginning to hyperventilate, I was starting to get dizzy. That was usually the second step of hyperventilation, but of course nothing never went in the right order for me. Dizziness came first. My tour guide went to the entertainment center and opened the door. Through my blurry vision, a flat screen TV was exposed along with game supplies and all that such. No way...

"This is what the kids like to call the Distract attic," Lillan explained to me in a tone as if she gave this speech a hundred times. "It's not what you call a attic but..." Her eyes blinked slowly as if to catch her drift. "It'll do. Anyway from the looks of it, the pew pew pew goes on up here. No rules expect for on school nights and weekends."

That's rules...

"From after or during homework..."

She just said 'during'.

"to 10 o'clock. Saturday's; after chores from to whenever your fingers fall off and your eyes drop from your socket. Sundays; after work out to from you die. Do I need to go over this once more?"

By the window that I sprinted to because I suddenly felt charsophobuc was blocked by a pool table, the colorful balls neatly in the triangle form. I gasped and started breathing heavily. My chest felt like it was caving in. I couldn't do this! It was extremely to much! HELP! GLORIA!

My silence told her No.