Chapter 7

"Cold?"

I jumped and gasped to the voice that frightened me. With one sleeved hand, I drew back my hair. I looked up and saw a pair of legs in black shoes, pants and a black waiter's apron that cutted off the pants. I rose my head up more and saw the face that belonged to the body.

Instead of the charm smile, the bottom lip was tucked under  white pearls concerningly.

"Um...," I started to say and decline.

"Before you lie to me and say no," he vested as he zipped off his jacket, revealing his black, short sleeve polo; being cut off by the apron; crouched down and wrapped it around my shoulders. "I thought this might help warm you up."

Even if I tried to ignore what I suddenly felt, I couldn't. His heat from the jacket immediately embraced me. I straightened my back, moaning in satisfaction when my muscles felt relived. My lower back didn't hurt as much as it should've, but that position I was in kept my muscles from knotting up.

"Um...thanks."

That charming smiled appeared in the sunset light, along with his brown eyes, making them seem way lighter. "My pleasure always. How long have you been out here?" 

I looked around my surrounding and saw it was almost dark. Around some spots, nats floated in one spot, dancing in the sunlight. To my left, the sun was setting making shade taking over. That's why I suddenly got cold. The sun was leaving, only peeking through the top of the rooftops to the buildings.

"Um, I guess..." I scoff-chuckled. "I guess...I don't know." And I felt really stupid. I looked at the resturant, huddling the jacket closer against my shoulders and arms. Was Gloria and my-not-soon-to-be-foster mother still in that private meeting or had she left and Gloria just left me out here to prepare herself on the news she needed to tell me.

"I'm sorry, Bella. I guess you'll have to stay in foster care center a little while longer. She didn't want you. You're past really disgusted her and she didn't want you around her kids she loved more than you. But you can't blame her, because she doesn't know you and doesn't want a chance to get to..."

I cupped my mouth and busted out crying. Even my own imagination was used to being treated like it didn't matter.

Oscar slid his arm around me and got off his feet. He let his legs stretch out in front of him so he could sit down on his butt. He slightly scooted close to me and gently pulled me into his side. I slowly let myself lean against his arm because of the state I was in. When I cried, nothing else mattered in the world.

Oscar let me cry out my tears that was full of disapproval.

×××

Oscar didn't take back his jacket when I offered it back to him. He told me it would give me an excuse to come back and return it just in case I came back to the restaurant out of coincidence and without a believable excuse. It made me blush for him to say something like that. And the way his voice sounded: teasily, low key flirting and kinda wishing I would return. I told him don't hold his breath and that I won't promise. I told him maybe I wouldn't bring back the coat 'cause what would keep me warm? I felt myself wanting to laugh when a cat caught his tongue. He was speechless and I saw his cheeks go from olive to slightly red. He looked...adorable.

We had walked from the grassy island to the restaurant when the lady came out the entrance. We both skid to a complete stop. Oscar didn't see it coming so he had bumped into my back. I had held my ground and grunted softly.

"Sorry," she said. "I didn't hold up my Stop sign in time." She winced.

"Ha ha, it's fine." Oscar and I chuckled awkwardly and said in unison just as awkwardly. I didn't know what we were feeling awkward about. Maybe I was feeling awkward because I was caught alone with a guy, a jacket that had to be his keeping me warm and the tension between the lady and I.