Chapter 32

The sound that was music to everyone's ear ringed throughout the campus, letting the students know it was the end of their hard work for the day. The hall was filled with hurrying students, making the walls echo their conversations like a concert hall.

"She basically gave us the same assignment all over again," Caden was ranting. "I mean who keeps reminding you got what answers wrong like that?"

 "At least Poppins didn't announce a new one."Axel gave Caden a bored sideways glance and walked up to his locker. He undid the lock and pulled back the cheap titanium door. Caden crossed his arms.

"You know...I saw Kash in my third..no, fifth period and he looked like he's been in someone's funeral or something all day. I hope he's okay."

Finishing with what he was doing, Axel shut and locked his locker and flinging his backpack over his shoulders. "I'm sure he's alright," he said full of doubt. No, Kash wasn't alright. Why the heck not?

"He hasn't told us anything. Maybe he doesn't want to. Or can't."

Axel groaned and continued out the school to meet the fam at Kash's car. "Can't doesn't stop him. Something else is going on."

"Maybe we should beat it outta him," Caden suggested. "Works in the movies. Unless of course he's a spy and kept a vow to condone silence." Axel scoffed and looked at his brother. Caden was a piece of work. His imagination was beneath him. They met up with the rest and walked the parking lot to Kash's car. Caden came up with this suggestion and got booed.

"You're kidding, right?" Grace was the first one to reject, her disappointment highly prominent in her brown eyes. 

"No, I'm not caden. Ha! Get it?"

"Wha..."

"He's kidding," Axel said.

"Haha. That was a good one, though bro." Mira high fived Caden. Grace rolled her eyes. Jessica was the quiet one, kicking the loose gravel and watching it crumble away. "But in your metaphor, Kash is the spy. He won't crack."

"The poor guy," said Erwin who caught up with them. Mira clenched her fists. "letting that stuff eat him like that. He's gonna end up being eaten alive." He shook his head in mock sadness. "Think we can get his car?", he asked Mira eagerly, resulting in her face to crinkle in amusement. Why did Erwin have to be so...

"So, where is Kash?" Jessica asked. Deewa who was already waiting by the car with Tita, answered, jabbing her thumb over her shoulder.

"Inside."

"Did he say anything?"

This time Titania answered, leaning against the tail light. "Other than nothing, nothing."

Crickets.

"Is it just me," she said, "or am I hearing crickets?"

Saying nothing, Jessica bid her goodbyes to everyone as she made her way to her ride; the Spam gang soundlessly getting into the vehicle, Axel peeking in the window before getting in making sure it was okay. Kash pretended not to notice. It was no big deal actually. The event in the morning. Kash was out of line to snap at him like that but he was too emotionally clouded to let Axel know. Once the doors shut, Kash started the car.

Departing from the Spam gang and Mira, Erwin skipped to Matthew's metallic black Ford Shelby GT350. He felt light on his feet as if he could float away right now. The air felt just right, carrying the scent Mira wore everywhere he went, and  heㅡl o v e dㅡit! He skidded to a stop in front of the car and hopped in it. Matthew was about to get in when he saw Grace.