Chapter 2

When Dan woke up the next morning, there came bright rays of sunshine through the window.

He was surprised, not remembering when he had woken up after the sun for a while, as it was winter and he was an early riser, even on weekends and holidays.

But he hadn't slept too well last night.

He had woken up during the night many times, anxious from a nightmare.

Most of the times his brother had woken up too because of him and had had a same kind of nightmare.

Dan rubbed his eyes and sat up on the bed, and noticed his brother's bed was empty.

The wall clock showed him it was almost 10 AM. Aldo wasn't an early riser, so it surprised him that he was up already.

In that they were the opposite from each other too. Dan began to get sleepy at around 8 or 9 PM and woke up early. His brother was an evening person, usually going to sleep later and woke up later too.

At least the rough night was over. There came faint noises from downstairs, mum must be making breakfast.

That thought made Dan's inside cringe a little. The nightmare had felt so real, but it was still just a stupid nightmare. It had to be. Of course it was.

Still in pyjamas not bothering yet to get dressed, Dan went downstairs. At the end of the stairs down, he noticed there was no morning chatter from the kitchen, and the atmosphere was somehow different.

In the kitchen there was only his brother, Aldo, making coffee and tea.

You could clearly see by appearance they were brothers.

Dan was around five feet and eight inches tall, normal weighted with brown hair and blue eyes.

All three of Evan and Dwyn Diarmid's children had a skin colour which could be described like with some suntan. It wasn't white, and it was because their father's family wasn't originally from England.

Aldo was around five feet and six inches tall, had brown hair like his brother but slightly different shade and the same blue eyes. He wasn't what you could call a skinny teenager, but not very or too muscular either.

He had been in a swim team for about four years now, and that included exercise. He had swum, freely or in groups or in a team like now, as long as he could remember.

Often his brother joined him in running, and when it was quiet or just the two of them, in the water and gym too.

Now he had almost puffy and red eyelids, he had been crying.

Dan's stomach made a somersault and tears began to fall right away.

Aldo seldom cried, the atmosphere wasn't that cheery and there was no mum, dad or Odelia around as it should be.

When Aldo noticed his brother, he gave him a sad smile and tried to compose himself.

"Morning. 'Good morning' doesn't sound right now, does it?"

"It wasn't just a nightmare, was it?" Dan noted more than asked and wrapped his arms around himself.

"No, uh, I'm afraid not. But we'll be just fine here. I know we will. In time."

It was true and real life. Dad, mum and Odelia were gone. They would never see them here anymore.

It was a depressing thought, and this whole thing could be understood just as the time passed.

Few minutes later they were sat at the kitchen table on opposite seats but close. Dan had only tea and Aldo coffee, neither felt like eating anything just now.