Chapter 5

Dan

"Are you nervous about the performance?" mum asked at lunch, as Odelia couldn't sit still on her seat.

"Not really, just so excited" Odelia said brightly with her sweet smile. She had been smiling all day, from the minute she woke up. "It's going to be so cool! Teacher said the whole auditorium will be full. I guess I will be a bit nervous just before the show, but everything will go well, I know it will. It's great that you're coming to watch, you'll be there in the audience!"

"Of course we'll come and be there, princess" dad said, smiling at her enthusiasm.

"Yes, honey, but try and sit still and eat your lunch now" mum said.

"I'm sorry I won't be there" I said wretchedly.

I tried not to hate myself too much, but at these moments and situations I really didn't like myself and what I made my family go through because of me.

"Don't be sorry, it's alright" Odelia said and tried to comfort me by coming to me and sit on my lap at the kitchen table. "I know you would both want to come and why you can't, it's not your fault. You'll see the show on the video dad has promised to take."

Her, or anybody else for that matter, being so close to me hadn't been a thing taken for granted for long.

It had taken a while until Aldo broke through my mind walls and barriers after the accident, and a much longer while to the rest of my family. The others, outside my family, are still following.

My little brother is the closest to me, has been always but this thing of mine brought us even closer.

"I think you should go with, you shouldn't miss it because of me and she would get one of us there" I said to him.

"No, I won't leave you" he said stubbornly.

Well, can't blame him for that. I can be just as bad.

"You haven't been alone at home for months and how it went last time, it's out of the question" dad said.

"Then we'll all go, I'm coming with you" I said, starting to get frustrated and angry. Not to or because of them, but to me and because of me.

"No, don't be an idiot" Aldo said in his straight frank manner. "You heard what Odelia said, the whole place will be full. And as she also said, she knows and understands why we're not going, so it's fine."

That was the end of it then.

I had to admit, even the thought of being there, with the place full of people and surrounded by them, made me feel anxious and almost sick. And so did the thought of staying alone at home.

I would have ruined Odelia's show if I had went with them, so I just had to wait until they got back home with the video.

Right after lunch dad, mum and Odelia left. She had packed her things earlier, as she would need to be in the theater an hour before the zero hour.

"We'll come by the grocery store and around dinner time, so we'll order some pizza or something when we come home" mum said as they were leaving. "This day deserves something special, anyway."

Aldo and I gave Odelia our good luck kisses and hugs and then they left.

* * * * *

Dan snapped awake with a startle and looked around. He had fallen asleep on the couch, and apparently so had Aldo almost next to him as well.