Chapter 28

...

He had a hungover and just wanted to sleep it off, but he knew he had to apologise to Dan first.

Dan sat on his bed crossing his legs and pulling his hoody sleeves over his linked fingers, hiding his hands to warm them up. Always after a shower for some while, he was particularly cold due to the temperature changes.

He didn't know what to do or say, but soon after he was settled, he slightly jumped in place as Jared moved and sat up as well.

"I'm sorry, Dan" he said tentatively, making Dan who was nervously looking down at his own hands look up at him with questioning but beautiful, expressive eyes.

Those piercing eyes had caught him in the first place, but after he had kissed him, he now found them even more amazing. They showed and spoke so much.

He regretted so deeply kissing him. Not exactly the kiss, but the way that had happened. Dan would have deserved it more special and with care.

That shouldn't have happened. Something in him had just clicked and he had to do it. But right after he snapped out of it, he felt so guilty, even if Dan would forgive him because he was too nice, he wouldn't forgive himself of this so easily.

He was so scared of himself and his feelings, that he had tried to drown them into going over to his friends', drinking and skipping the school day.

But it had felt good only for a while, now he had terrible hangover and still had to face Dan and what he had done.

"For about, you know, the kiss" he continued, clarifying what he was awkwardly apologising for.

Dan instantly blushed and looked down trying not to fidget but failed, wanting to cover and hide his face but knew that would have been just worse. The awkward tension wasn't something he handled too well.

"I-it's okay" he whispered, having to say something to accept the apology.

Not that he thought he needed to apologise. What was he supposed to say to that?

It had been stuck in his mind somehow all the time, but it said out loud and talking about it was confusing and embarrassing.

Jared flashed a smirk, but didn't allow himself to think how cute he was right now and turned serious again.

"And, I'm also sorry for how you saw Marc and me. I don't want to scare you, and you didn't look too good at the door, so I'm so sorry. I don't know...are you okay now?"

Dan nodded, while plucking up some courage, not sure what the question in his mind would cause.

"What...i-it was the box, w-wasn't it?" he asked quietly, but he was curious and it seemed to be a bad thing.

Jared held his breath for a moment but then sighed in defeat.

He reckoned Dan deserved to know, and he knew he could trust him of all people not to tell anyone or judge him.

"I guess now would be a good time you'd deserve an explanation, huh?" he queried, but got no response so he took a deep breath while looking at him. "But it's not a pretty story, you have to promise me you'll do or say something to stop me if it's too much. Promise?"

Dan nodded, now lifting his head to look at him again, too.

"P-promise."

Jared nodded and rose up from the bed to sit down on the floor, leaning against it. He wasn't feeling too good, and he was about to tell something he had never told anyone else.

But Dan was different, safe. He knew that just from considering to tell him. He knew he would be a mess afterwards, but he also knew Dan wouldn't make fun of him or laugh.

...

Read the full chapter in www.patreon.com/xelaneleh (link in my bio)

...

But also, at that moment something broke inside Dan in a bad and good way.

He wasn't the best option, but nobody else was in the room. He felt such a sudden, strong urge to comfort Jared.

It hurt him to see him like that. Right now he didn't care about himself, he had to do something.

Nervously and slowly, Dan uncrossed his legs and stood up. The room wasn't big, and he was feeling the anxiety rise inside of him as he came closer to Jared.

But also, he felt something had changed and snapped inside of him. Feeling sad and sorry for him overtook the anxiety.

Jared's face and eyes were hidden between his arms which were hugging his knees, so this was easier for him.

He couldn't say anything comforting, words weren't enough. From somewhere, he got the momentary courage to do what he did next.

As Dan reached him, he crouched down so that his knees touched the floor. He was just a little shorter than Jared, but he seemed much smaller as he was quite a lot skinnier.

He knew he couldn't make things really better, but he had to do something he could.

Clumsily and taking his time, he reached to wrap his almost shaking arms around Jared's shoulders, giving him a shy hug.

Read the full chapter in www.patreon.com/xelaneleh (link in my bio)