Chapter 8

The next morning, Aldo woke up late as normally on holidays. With still closed eyes he picked his phone from the bedside table and forced them open, just enough to see the time from the screen.

10.45 AM. He dropped the phone and was about to snooze a few more minutes or so, but as soon as he closed his eyes, yesterday's events and where they were filled his thoughts.

Damn and blast, he thought and rubbed his eyes to get them open properly. After looking around the room and spotting his brother still sleeping on the other bed, he rose up groggily to go to the bathroom.

He thought about waking up his brother too, if he would wake up while he was gone and he wasn't quite sure what would happen then.

But he didn't have the heart to do that. Dan hadn't slept well at all last night, so if he could sleep that peacefully and this long to the morning, Aldo wasn't waking him up just yet. Niall's mum would surely understand too.

So without making any noise, Aldo opened and closed behind him their room door and was about to open the upstairs bathroom door, but it burst open before him as Niall came out just then.

"Oh, sorry" Niall said, grinning at his friend's startled expression. "Did you get any sleep with that storm last night?"

"Well, the roof of this house didn't keep the noise down, at least" Aldo remarked, rubbing his arm which had gotten attacked by the door.

"How's... how's Dan?" Niall's face dropped, concerned.

"Sleeping, neither of us really got any sleep properly last night so I'm glad."

"That's good. How are you?"

"I'm a bit worried about today and this all" Aldo admitted.

He was open about almost everything to his best mate, he knew he could tell him and not get anything more than friendly teasing. And this wasn't a subject or time for that, either.

"I know, me too actually."

"Where's Trina? This house is unnaturally quiet" Aldo noted, not hearing any sounds from downstairs. There was normally always some background music playing, if Trina was home.

"Mum went grocery shopping about half an hour ago. She made some breakfast before she left though, so feel free to eat anything that's there."

"Thanks. But now I need to use the bathroom so excuse me" Aldo said with a jokingly polite manner and dashed to the bathroom, slamming the door shut.

Niall chuckled and then went downstairs to the kitchen to have some late breakfast.

* * * * *

About an hour later, Aldo came again back to his and Dan's room with two cups, one with tea and the other with coffee. When he had shut the door, he noticed his brother awake on his bed, reading a book.

Having much spare time, Dan loved to read books, both normal and e-books. He had many books in his suitcase, it was a good and enjoyable way to spend time in his condition.

"Good morning, how are you feeling?" Aldo asked, placing the cups on Dan's bedside table and sat down almost next to him.

"I don't know" Dan said quietly, his voice sounding as empty as he really felt.

He really didn't know what to feel, what to think, what to do. The books were also a great escape from his real pathetic life.

Always thinking about it, it made his mind either blank not being able to think at all or into overdrive with too many thoughts and fears getting anxious and overwhelmed.