Chapter 23

...

That evening Dan procrastinated with finishing his homework. He was afraid to go to sleep, even if he was dead tired as it was almost 10 PM.

His wrists had begun to itch and sting uncomfortably during the evening, because he hadn't changed the bandages. They bothered him all the time, but he just couldn't do it himself.

Maybe he would soon be forced to ask Trina or somebody to help, but he didn't know how to ask.

Eventually it got enough bad for him to not be able to focus on anything, so he went to pick up his pyjamas intending to try for sleep rather than staying awake.

He had some painkillers, but taking as much as he needed for it to work now wouldn't be good and even the small amount he had taken was affecting his easily responsive mind.

When he was starting to take his hoody off, there was a quiet knock on the door. Before he began to overthink and get anxious, he reasoned it was just somebody from this house so there was nothing to worry about really.

Forcing his legs move, he went to open the door, as he just couldn't call in. He had expected to see Trina to check up on him, but it was Jared with a big bundle in his arms.

"Are you okay? I saw the light on so you must have been still awake" Jared said quietly, and Dan just nodded. "Can I come in, or are you hiding something?"

At this time? Dan wondered, noticing he had barely opened the door and stood to cover the small gap. He wasn't sure what was going on, but he stepped aside and let Jared come in.

Coming in, he first went to drop the bundle he was carrying on Aldo's bed. Dan sat cautiously on his own bed noticing they were a pillow, duvet and bed sheet and watched as he began to exchange Aldo's to his.

Dan's eyes widened in confusion.

"W-what are y-you doing?" he spluttered suddenly, trying to stay calm.

Jared smiled, as Dan couldn't see having his back to him. He had suspected him to finally open his mouth now, this was a good idea.

"While your brother is away, I'm taking his place in here" he told, not stopping to make his bed. "This was mum's idea, but I think as well you could do better with somebody, a friend here."

Dan stared at him alarmed, not liking this at all. He wasn't prepared to share a room with somebody, and he wasn't yet sure what to think about or could he trust this somebody.

But by the time he opened his mouth intending to protest, he noticed Jared was ready so he closed it back.

...

This was a new symptom and he didn't like it, fearing he was becoming even more silly. He didn't want to be messed up like this, he needed to stop or radically reduce his drug prescription quickly.

Read the full chapter in www.patreon.com/xelaneleh (link in my bio)