Chapter 9

Twenty minutes later, everybody sat around the kitchen table for lunch.

Everybody except two were participating a cosy conversation. Naomi brought greetings to Dan and Aldo from Trina's parents, who had met only the latter but heard much of Dan as well.

Dan put all his efforts to keep calm and eat his lunch. He was hungry and wanted to appreciate Trina for cooking to him and Aldo, and as he wasn't yet confident enough to speak, this was his way for now.

When Aldo had taken Dan back upstairs to calm down after his confusing and overwhelming moment with Jared, he asked what just happened.

Dan didn't know anything himself, so he just told his brother it was nothing, and Aldo decided to shrug it off knowing he would tell him if it was something to worry about.

But it definitely wasn't just nothing.

From the second he had lifted his head and seen first Jared's smile and eyes and face, the yet stranger had been stuck in his mind.

And that, scared him more than very much. He got anxious being confused and not know what is going on with him or around him.

Now at the table, Dan was avoiding all eye contact with any cost again. The problem was, he had difficulties not to look at Niall's brother, who sat almost opposite to him.

But when he and Aldo had come back downstairs just moments ago and he had done that mistake, because he wanted to greet him properly and apologise, Jared had had an angry looking frown and expression at him.

Even right now, Dan could feel his eyes on him once in a while. Had he offended him by his reaction, or what had he done to make him angry at him already?

He was very sad of somebody being angry at him, especially Jared for some reason he didn't understand. He wished he would soon, this was very uncomfortable and didn't help things at all.

Dan sat at one end of the table, Aldo next to him on the right, so that he wouldn't feel surrounded.

His silence was expected and natural, but Jared's silence most of the time was noticed. Nobody remarked about it though.

After the meal, Niall and his dad and brother went to the living room to watch TV, and Trina washed the dishes. Dan found this the best opportunity to make a move.

With one significant look at Aldo next to him, his brother knew what he wanted to do. His simple encouraging smile gave Dan the courage he needed.

They went as close to Trina as Dan was okay with, and being extremely nervous he took a deep breath to be able to speak.

"Trina?" he said, quieter than he had meant to but she heard it.

"Yes, dear?" she smiled with raised eyebrows, her expression and voice filled with surprise and delight.

"T-thank you, so much f-for letting us, be h-here" he said, blushing visibly right in the start for stuttering, but managed to carry on until the end.

"Of course, you're both always welcome here and we're glad to help and have you here" Trina said warmly, just wanting to give both brothers a long, motherly hug but stood still trying to hide her excitement not to startle Dan. "I'm very proud of both of you, you definitely don't deserve what you're going through but we're supporting you as much as we can and things tend to turn alright."

Both gave her a grateful smile. Those words from her meant and comforted more than she knew.

Dan noticed with the smile, that he had begun to not feel so cautious with Trina. She was such a warm and kind person, it showed in her expressions and he could feel it.