12 - Hitomi's Powers

It's been nearly a month since Mom locked me down in the basement. I felt like a prisoner being trapped down here. Mom had beaten me again just two nights ago because Saitama called me and left a message, asking if I wanted to join him and Genos for lunch..

She wanted me to cut off all communication with Saitama and Genos a long time ago, but I didn't want to. So as punishment, she beat me to the point I was numb and sore all over.

My right eye was swollen shut, my ribs were cracked, my cheek was bruised, my lip was cut open, and my neck was sore. Every time I tried to speak, my voice would come out as a hoarse whisper. The only way I could communicate with was with either a headshake or a nod. 

The living condition was terrible as well. Mom would hardly let me eat and the only thing that accompanied me were my thoughts. 

"Hitomi, honey. You haven't eaten a thing all day." Mom said. I slowly opened my eyes and lifted my head slightly as Mom stood over me while she looked at the piece of bread she had left for me. I had left it untouched because my stomach was hurting from the beating.

"Are you sad, sweetie? Even when you're sad, you've got to eat." She said. I didn't say anything as I laid my head back on the floor. "Well, I'm going to the store. Would you like me to get you anything, my angel?" Mom asked. 

'Yeah. Freedom.' I thought, sarcastically. I felt her stare down at me for a moment before leaving the basement. I have to get out of here. I can't spend another second down here. I'll die if I stay down here any longer. 

I waited a few minutes before painfully crawling towards the stairs. When I got there, I began crawling up the stairs, being careful not to fall down. 

It took me a good ten minutes until I finally got to the top. I reached my hand up, grabbed the doorknob, and twisted it. Unfortunately, the door was locked. 'Maybe I can use my powers.' I thought with a bit of hope. "Unlock."

The door unlocked itself and slowly creaked as it did so. A small spark of hope made me smile, but I wasn't out of the woods yet. I pushed the door open and crawled through the living room, heading towards the door. 

I slowly reached up to grab the door knob, but to my surprise the door opened itself. I panicked when I thought Mom had returned. When the door was completely open, instead of Mom standing there, it was Genos. 

"Hitomi?" He said as he looked down at me with a shocked expression on his face. "Ge... nos...?" I said, weakly. "What happened? Who did this to you?" He asked, kneeling down by my side. I was so happy to see him, but at the same time, I was exhausted, so I passed out. 

"Hitomi!"

Genos's POV

"Hitomi! Hitomi!" I tried shaking her awake, but she was out cold. "Hang on, Hitomi. I'm taking you to the hospital." I said, picking her up in his arms. I ran out of the house with Hitomi and quickly took her to the hospital. 

When I got her there, I called out that I needed help and doctors rushed over to us. "What happened?" They asked. "I don't know. Please, you have to help her." I said. The doctors took Hitomi from me and got her into a room to examine her.

While they checked on her, I waited in the lobby for results. Finally, a nurse came over to me to tell me Hitomi results. "Hitomi's going to be fine. She's stable now." She informed. "Could you tell me how this happened to her?" 

"I'm not sure." I answered. "Can I go see her?" 

"Of course."

The nurse led me to where Hitomi's room was and saw her laying in the hospital bed. Her head was bandaged, her arm was in a cast, and there was an oxygen man placed over her mouth and nose.