16 - Assertiveness

Kiba's POV

"Hitomi! It's me, Kiba!" I called as I knocked on her door. I waited a few minutes and there was no answer. I decided to visit Hitomi to see how she was doing.

It was the day after the invasion and Hitomi disappeared without a trace. After remembering where she lived, I decided to go check on her while Shino came with me. Kurenai-sensei and Hinata went back to the village, so I told them that Shino and I would catch up with them soon.

"She's probably not home. Maybe she went on an errand." He guessed. I went to respond until the door slowly creaked open. On the other side was Hitomi, but she was different. By that, I mean her head was bandaged, along with her eye, and her cheek was bruised.

"Kiba... And Shino? What are you doing here?" She asked, emotionlessly. "We... wanted to check on you." I answered. "What happened to you?" Shino asked. "I fell down the stairs. Please, come inside." Hitomi said, leading the way into her house.

She limped a little bit as she walked. Once inside the house, she turned around so she was facing us. "Hitomi, what-"

"Would you like something to drink?" Hitomi interrupted me. She smiled at us, as if she wasn't in pain. But I know she is.

How can she smile like this? To smile through this pain and torture... She's very brave. "Kiba?" Hitomi said. I walked over to her and gently hugged her. "I'm sorry..." I whispered. "Hmm?" Hitomi hummed in confusion. "I'm sorry that I wasn't here sooner." I apologized.

"You have nothing to apologize for, Kiba. This isn't your fault. It's clearly mine." Hitomi said. "How is this your fault?" Shino asked. Before she could answer, we heard, "What you doing in here?" from behind us.

I broke the hug and turned around, spotting Hitomi's mother with a bag of groceries in her hands as the door closed behind her. "Who are you people? What are you doing in my house?" She repeated with a glare.

"Oh, uh... We came here to check on Hitomi. I just want to see how she was doing, so..." I trailed off as her glare darkened.

"Get out..." Hitomi's mother mumbled. "What?" I asked. "Get out! Get out of my house!" She yelled. "But I-"

"GET OUT!!!"

She grabbed a vase off the coffee table and threw at my head. I clutched my skull in pain as I felt blood starting to run down my face. "Ow..." I said, gritting my teeth slightly. Hitomi grabbed my hand. "This way." She said, quickly leading me to the bathroom while Shino followed.

She gently cleaned my wound, then bandaged my head. "I'm so sorry for her behavior." Hitomi apologized. "Don't worry. I'm okay. But look, now we match." I said, attempting to make a joke.

But Hitomi didn't laugh. "Hitomi, has your mother been mistreating you? Is she responsible for the bruises on your body?" Shino asked. She lowered her head, not answering. "Why..." Hitomi mumbled. "Why did you guys come here?"

"I think that should be obvious." I said. "Hmm?" Hitomi looked at me, her face emotionless. "It's because I like you. I care about you." I confessed while taking her hands in my own. Her eyes lit up with a bit of emotion, looking quite shocked.

"You're... very sweet, Kiba," Hitomi said, softly. "But you must leave. If you continue to stay here, she'll hurt you."

"If I'm leaving, then you're coming with me. I'm not gonna let her keep hurting you like this." I said.

Hitomi's POV

It's my fault Kiba got hurt. I can't allow someone else get hurt because of me. "Please excuse me for a moment." I said to Kiba. I walked out of the bathroom and walked over to my mother.

"Mom." I spoke. "Are you all right, my precious angel? That boy didn't hurt you, did he?" She asked. I didn't answer as I gazed at the ground. "Mom... I don't care if it's just me you're hurting. It's fine if it's only me you're hurting," I lifted my head so I was looking at her.

"However, if you hurt people I care about, I won't forgive you." I said in a serious tone. Mom frowned at me. "Don't talk to me that way, Hitomi." Mom said. I frowned at her and Kiba took my hand. I looked at him as he and Shino were standing behind me.

"Ma'am, we're taking Hitomi to our village." Shino said, calmly. "What?! You can't! I won't allow you!" Mom yelled at him. "Mom," I spoke. "Don't yell at my friends."

"Hitomi..." Mom said in disbelief. "Let's go, Hitomi. We're leaving." Kiba said, leading us towards the door. "No! Don't! You can't take her away from me! Hitomi, don't you dare leave this house! I forbid it!" Mom yelled after us.

I glanced back at her as I continued to walk with Kiba and Shino. "You'll regret this, Hitomi. I assure you, you will regret this decision," I stopped when I heard those words. "Don't do this to us, Hitomi. Don't you see what they're doing? They're trying to test is apart. Do you really want them to do that? Don't let them do this to us, Hitomi." Mom said, almost begging.

I emotionlessly stared at the door as I didn't reply. "Goodbye, Mother." I said, then left with Kiba and Shino.

"Get back here right now! Hitomi!"