20 - Mommy's Present

Hitomi's POV

"Hitomi, my angel. Can I trust you to stay here and be a good girl while Mommy heads to the store to pick up a few things?" Mom asked.  to go to the store and pick up a few things for Mommy?" Mom asked. I laid there on the floor, sore, beaten, and bruised.

"Do you hear your mother, Hitomi?" Mom said. I weakly lifted my head off the ground and nodded to her. "Good. I'll be back in a few minutes. See you soon, my angel." Mom said. She left and I laid there on the floor. 

After a few minutes, I tried to stand, but it hurt too much to move. I laid there for another few minutes before I started to move again. I manage to limp my way up the stairs and into the bathroom. Once I was there, I ran the bathwater.

I'm hoping that the hot water will ease the pain in my body. After the tub was filled, I stripped out of my clothes, then got in the tub. My body slowly began to relax as I sat there. Due to the comforting steam, I started getting a little drowsy until I finally blacked out. 

****

"Marika, you're not well! You need help!"

"Stop saying that! I don't need help!"

"You're not safe around our daughter!"

"Don't you even think about it! I'm not letting you take her from me!"

"I'm sorry, Marika. But this is for the best."

"No! I won't let you!"

"Argh!"

"Nobody is taking my angel from me. Not you, not the police. Nobody. Hitomi is my baby, and I'm not letting her go."

*****

I gasped and immediately woke up while accidentally splashing water. I panted lightly, then sighed while placing a hand over my forehead. "Was that just a dream?" I whispered. Yet it... felt so real. The voices... It was my mother, no doubt.

But who... was other voice? It was a man's voice, but whose was it?

I looked at the clock and saw that I've been asleep for thirty minutes. Time to get out. 

I got out of the tub and grabbed a towel, heading to my room. Most of the pain had faded, but I was still a bit sore. After drying myself off, I dressed myself in a pink robe, but kept the towel to dry my hair since it was still a bit damp.

"Hitomi, I'm back." I heard my mother call from downstairs. I walked down the stairs and found Mom in the kitchen, putting away the groceries. "Ah, there you are, Hitomi. Were you taking a bath?" Mom asked, in which I nodded.

"You didn't leave the house, did you?" Mom asked, sternly. I shook my head and she smiled at my response. "You're such a good girl, Hitomi. That delinquent side of you is finally starting to going away. If you keep doing as I say, I might give you a few of your privileges back. How does that sound?" Mom asked.

I just shrugged my shoulders as I stared at her emotionlessly. "Oh, that reminds me. I have a present for you for being so good." Mom informed.

'Gee, I wonder what it could be? A dog collar, maybe? A whip? Or maybe some jumper cables she can use to shock me when she decides to punish me again?' I thought, sarcastically, as I walked into the kitchen.

Mom fished around in one of the grocery bags and took out a cute stuffed rabbit with soft-looking white fur, and red beady eyes. It was so adorable, I swear it was smiling at me. "Here. For you." Mom said, handing it to me. "Do you like it?"

"I love it." I said, taking the gift. The rabbit was soft and made me feel at ease... almost. "Thank you for the gift, Mom." I said, quietly. 

"You're very welcome, my angel. Why don't you watch some TV? I'll bake some chocolate chip cookies." She said. I gave a nod and did just that as I held my gift in my lap. But it was hard to relax and watch TV when I'm trapped in a house with an overprotecting mother. 

My phone sat next to me as it began to vibrate. I looked at the screen and noticed Saitama was calling. I glanced at Mom as she was still busy with the cookies, then looked at my phone.

I was really nervous to answer the phone because if Mom found out I was speaking to him, she'd punish me. After a few rings, my phone went to voicemail. A few minutes later, Genos called. Once again, I let it go to voicemail. 

I didn't answer it this time because I was thinking about Mom's behavior recently. Why was Mom being so nice all of a sudden? Has she finally changed? Are we finally going back to normal?

"Hitomi, could you come in here for a moment?" Mom called from the kitchen. I set my rabbit down on the couch and headed to the kitchen. "Yes?" I asked. "Cookie?" She gestured, holding out the plate of chocolate chip cookies.

The smell of the cookies being freshly baked hit my nose, making me smile in relaxation. "Try one. I made them especially for you." Mom said. I obliged and took a cookie before taking a bite out of it. "Well? How does it taste, my angel?" Mom asked.

"It's delicious." I answered as I gave her a smile. I grabbed two more cookies and ate them happily. When I finished them, I suddenly began to feel dizzy. "Mom... What did you... put in the cookies?" I asked, my words slurring a bit. "Oh, just the usual ingredients." She answered.

"The... usual...?" I repeated. Her smirk was the last thing I saw before I collapsed to the floor. 

Marika's POV

I smirked down at my unconscious daughter as she laid there in the floor. "Yes, the usual ingredients to bake cookies, and a few sleeping pills. I like to called it... Mommy's secret ingredient." I said.

I picked up Hitomi's unconscious body and walked to the living room before placing her on the couch. I sat next to her with her head in my lap and had her hold her stuffed rabbit. 

"Hush, little baby~. Don't say a word~. Momma's gonna buy you a mocking bird~. And if that mocking bird don't sing~, Momma's gonna buy you a diamond ring~." I sang softly as I gently stroked Hitomi's hair. 

"Mommy's right here, Hitomi, and she's always going to be here. Just like how you're always going to be here... with me." I said, smirking. I began singing the lullaby again and continued to stroke Hitomi's hair as she slept beside me.