31 - Adjusting

After two weeks of hospitalization, I was finally let out of the hospital. However, even though my legs were no longer bandaged, my right arm was still in a cast and my head, neck, and left eye was still bandaged. 

Amai Mask checked me out of the building, and the moment we left, we surrounded by the press. Microphones and recorders were shoved in our faces. I was blinded by the flashing camera light, making me raise my hand up to shield off the brightness. 

They were shooting so many questions at us, I couldn't even understand what they were trying to ask. But I'm pretty sure the questions are for Amai Mask, seeing how he's popular and all.

Amai Mask placed his hand over my shoulder and used his other hand to try and clear the press away so we can be on our way.

We got to his car and he drove away from the press. "Sorry about that." Amai Mask apologized. I didn't reply as I stared out the window.

When we got to his house, we got out of the car and entered the house. "Welcome to your new home, Hitomi." Amai Mask announced. His place was actually quite nice. A little bit more than I expected. Is this guy rich, too?

"Here, let me show you to your room." He said, leading the way. I followed him up the stairs and he showed me to my room. He opened the door for me and I saw that the room was bigger than I thought. It was almost like one of those rooms you have if you're living in a luxury mansion.

"I figured you weren't one of those girls who didn't like a pink and girly room, so I decided to give you a room that was more your taste. What do you think?" He asked. 

"That was thoughtful of you. Thank you." I said, quietly. "I'm glad you like it," Amai Mask smiled. "If there's anything else you need, I'm here for you."

"I'm okay for now, thanks." I said. "Okay. Well, right now, you can relax and do what you like." He said. "Aren't there rules?" I asked. 

"We'll go over those later. For now, I just wanna focus on making you feel more at home here. I don't want you to feel that you're some sort of stranger living in my house."

"Thank you, Amai Mask." 

"No problem. And again, if you need anything, I'm here for you."

"Thanks again. Right now, I just wanna rest."

"By all means, go ahead. I'll let you rest."

Amai Mask closed the door and I walked over to my new bed. I lied down and looked out the window, watching the clouds roll by. 

After I took a small nap, I went down the stairs and found Amai Mask in the living room, watching TV. What got my attention when I heard my name on the screen. 

"Still no respond from Amai Mask to why he adopted Hitomi Ninamotoe, the victim of abuse by her own mother, Marika Ninamotoe. After facing a traumatizing event, Hitomi was hospitalized for nearly three weeks while Marika was subjected to a Psychiatric Ward."

"Tch. Nosy people. It's not their business to why I adopted her." Amai Mask mumbled as he turned off the TV. "I must be causing you trouble. Sorry about that." I apologized. 

"Hitomi! I didn't hear you come downstairs. No, you're not causing me any trouble. It's just the nosy press. They're getting on my nerves." He explained. "Oh." I said. "Anyway, what's up? Did I wake you with the TV?" Amai Mask asked.

"No," I shook my head. "I wanted to ask you a favor." I said. "Sure. Anything. What is it?" He asked. "I... want to go see my mother at the Psych Ward." I requested. 

"So soon? Are you sure?" 

"Yes," I nodded. "I wanna see how she's doing. I haven't seen her in nearly three weeks, so I want to make sure she's okay."

"Okay. We'll go right now."

We got in the car and drove to the Psych Ward. Once we got there, we asked to see Marika. The doctors brought her out and sat her down at a white table. Mom looked dazed and a bit pale. "Mom?" I said, quietly. "It's me, your daughter. Hitomi."

She slowly lifted her head and looked at me. "Hitomi..." She stared at me blankly before slowly smiling a small smile. "There she is. My angel... has finally come back to me. Welcome back, my angel." She said, reaching her hand out to me.

I let her place her hand on my cheek as I stared at her. "She never left, Mom. She's always been here." I said. "How are you doing?" Mom asked.

"I'm fine." 

"What's the matter? You seem like something troubling you."

"Why did you kill him, Mom?"

"Kill who, honey?"

"Hageshi Ninamotoe. My father. Why did you kill him?"

"Honey, I didn't kill him."

"Stop lying to me, Mom! I'm sick of the lies! For once, tell me the truth!"

I glared at her as she stared at me calmly. "They found his body, Mom. In the basement, behind a door. Why did you kill him? What caused you to kill him? Tell me." I ordered.

Mom didn't say anything for a moment. "Your father... was going to leave me and you take you with him. I needed help, he said. Told me I wasn't healthy to be around you. So, I killed him. He got what he deserved. I wasn't going to let him take my angel from me." She explained. 

I frowned at her. "How could you lie to my face and tell me he left me the day I was born?" I asked, angrily. "I did it for your own good, Hitomi." Mom answered.

"No... You did it for your own good. You were so afraid that I would leave you, you did everything your power to keep me from leaving. So, I'm leaving you... for good. I'm hoping this place will give you the help you need." I said. 

"How could you say that to your own mother? Have I not been good to you?" Mom asked with a frown.

"And what good have you done for me, Mom?" I asked. "Good mothers don't nearly beat their child to death, or torture them, or lock them in their basement. Mothers are supposed to be gentle with their children. Love them, care for them. Show them what's right from wrong, and protect them from harm."

"I did protect you!" Mom snapped. I shook my head. "I wish there was someone who could've been protecting me from you. Goodbye, Mother." I said. I stood up from the table and walked away. I gasped when I felt a pair of hands wrap around my neck from behind. 

"You're my child! I'll treat you however the hell I want! Nobody can tell me what to do! That damn father of yours had what was coming to him!" Mom yelled as she strangled me from behind.

I gasped for air as I desperately tried squirming out of her hold. 

"Security!"

A few doctors rushed over and pried Mom away from me as Amai Mask pulled me to his chest. "I'll kill you! I'll kill you! You're not my angel! Let me go! I have to kill her! Let go!" Mom yelled as the doctors forcibly dragged her away. 

"Are you okay, Hitomi?" Amai Mask asked. "Yeah... I'm fine." I answered, hesitantly. "Come on, let's get out of here." He said, guiding me towards the exit. I could still my mother's screams as we left the hospital. 

We went back to the house and I sat down on the couch. "How are you feeling?" He asked. "I'm not really sure... When I was over there, I was hoping she'd tell me that she didn't kill my father. I wanted her to say someone else killed him and put his body down there to frame her. But..."

I tried not to sob so loudly as tears spilled over my cheeks. "It'll be okay, Hitomi." Amai Mask said as he sat beside me. "How? How will it be okay? My father is dead and my mother in a Psych Ward. How's it going to be okay?" I asked.

Amai Mask didn't answer as he pulled me to his chest. I couldn't hold back my sobs like I wanted to and cried into Amai Mask's chest. He held me gently as he gently rubbed my back.