17 - Hitomi's Day Off

When we got to Leaf Village, nothing much as changed like I expected it to. "Welcome back to the Leaf Village, Hitomi." Kiba said, smiling. "Hey! There you guys are!"

A blonde-haired boy, a emo-looking kid, and a girl with short pink hair ran over to us and they all were wearing the same headband Kiba and Shino were wearing. More ninjas?

Wait, a pink-haired girl? Could she be the same girl Akuma mentioned? Maybe, maybe not. "We've been looking everywhere for you two! Where have you been?" The blonde haired boy said. "We had something to take care of. What's up?" Kiba asked.

"All of us are having a picnic to celebrate the hard work we've been doing, and we can't start without you." The pink-haired girl explained. "So, come on! Everyone's waiting!" The boy said. "Who's this?" The emo kid asked. 

"This is Hitomi," Kiba introduced. "Hitomi, this is Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura."

"Yo." I greeted with a small wave. "She doesn't look like she's from this village." Sasuke mentioned. "Isn't she the girl who you were staring stupidly at back at the academy?" Naruto asked. "Shut up!" Kiba snapped.

"What village are you from, Hitomi?" Sakura asked. "City Z." I answered. "Huh? Z City? What kind of village is that?" Naruto asked. "It's a city, not a village." I stated. 

"I don't get it. Hey, what happened to your eye?"

"I don't wanna talk about it." I said. "Hmm? Okay, then. All right, enough chitchat! Let's go to the picnic before they start without us!" Naruto said. Him and his friends began leading the way as Kiba took my hand and walked with them. We walked for a bit until we were at a beach.

There was a huge food spread as more kids were here. Probably more of Kiba's friends. I learned all of their names from Kiba, including their senseis, and we began to eat. "Itadakimasu!"

Everyone began having fun and I noticed Naruto arguing with Sasuke. To me, this felt a little unsettling because I wasn't used to this sort of thing. Sure, I've hung out Saitama and Genos because I know them. But I don't know these people, so it's a bit awkward for me. 

"So, Hitomi. What do you do?" Kakashi asked. "What do I do?" I repeated. "Well, I like playing videogames." 

I looked down at the food in front of me as it was nothing like the food back home. 

"Eat up, Hitomi! It's delicious! Believe it!" Naruto said. "If you're not gonna eat it, I can have it, right?" Choji asked, reaching for my food with his chopsticks. Before he could grab anything, Shikamru slapped his hand away.

"You moron. Don't go taking other people's food without asking." He said, making Choji. I picked up my chopsticks and picked up a piece of meat before taking a bite out of it. 

"How does it taste, Hitomi?" Tenten asked. "It's good." I answered. "Here, Hitomi! Try some of the rice balls! They're really good!" Ino offered. I tried a rice ball and it tasted good, too. 

I gave her a closed-eye smile, letting her know it was delicious. "Hitomi, if you want, you wanna go swimming later?" Sakura offered. I blinked my eyes in surprise, then shook my head no. "Huh? Why not?" SHe asked. I didn't answer as I lowered my head. 

'Sure. Go swimming with people I don't know with a mark burned into my back that says 'Mommy's Little Angel'. Yeah, right. Once they see that mark, all of them will be asking questions.' I thought.

I decided to just enjoy the rest of my time here while I'm... happy.

After the picnic, it got really late and Kiba took me to his house. "Mom, I'm home!" Kiba called. "You were gone for a long time. Huh? Who's this girl you brought home?" His mom asked. "This is Hitomi. Is it okay if she stays with us for a bit?" Kiba asked. 

"I don't see why not. Welcome, Hitomi. My name is Tsume," His mother smiled. "If this guy gives you any trouble, just let me now, okay?" She mentioned. "Sure." I answered. "Come on, Mom. Don't make it sound like I'm a bad guy." Kiba pouted. 

(Time skip) Kiba's POV

"Hitomi, you're turn in the shower!" I called as I opened the door to my room. I used the towel I had over my neck to dry my hair and spotted Hitomi by the window. "Hitomi?" I asked, walking over to her. 

She gazed out the window, then looked at me through the reflection. "Are you okay?" I asked. Hitomi gave a nod, then turned to face me as the jacket I had lent her earlier to cover her bandaged arms was laying on the bed.

"How's your eye?" I asked, walking over to her. She didn't answer and looked down. Hitomi sadly looked at the floor. "Does it hurt?" I asked with concern. Once again, Hitomi remained quiet and walked over to the bed before sitting down. "Hitomi..." I whispered in guilt.

I stared at her bandaged arms as I thought about the injuries she had under them. 'I can't imagine the pain she must be going through right now. I don't want her to continue living like this. I want to be able to protect her from that woman she calls a mother.' I thought.

Before I knew it, I was hugging Hitomi's head to my chest. "I'm sorry." I whispered. Hitomi looked up at me, her eyes widened slightly. "I'm so sorry." I repeated. "I already told you that you have no need to apologize. This my problem, so I have to deal with it." She said, quietly. 

"But why? Why do this alone? Why won't you tell someone about this?" I asked, still holding her head.

"I thought if maybe I handled this on my own, no one would get hurt. They wouldn't have to deal with my problems. It'd be selfish of me... if I had got everyone involve."

"That doesn't mean you're bein selfish. It just means you're calling out for help." 

"But... I don't want help. I don't want..."

Hitomi's POV

I trailed off as tears began to form at the brim of my eyes. I sniffled before I started to cry. "I don't know what's wrong with me. I just don't understand. What did I ever do... to make her wanna hurt me so much?" I asked as my cries turned into sobs. 

"You're not the problem, Hitomi. You never were." Kiba said. "Then... what is it? If I'm not the problem... then what is?" I whispered. 

Kiba's POV

'Not what, Hitomi. Who. And the answer is your mother. She's the real problem. I think she's always has been.' I thought as I continued to comfort Hitomi for the rest of the night.