29 - The Aftermath

Hitomi's POV

After being saved, I was immediately sent to the hospital. My stomach had to be pumped because of the garbage I was forced to eat and my wounds were treated. When that I was done, I was questioned by the police. They were asking things like how long I was being abused and when did it start. 

I was staring at the ceiling of the hospital, thinking about what was going to happen to my mother. "Officer?" I said, quietly. "What's going to happen to my mother? Is she gonna go to jail?" 

"No. Due to her uncontrollable behavior during interrogation, she'll be placed in a Psychiatric Ward." He answered. I sadly looked down at the white sheets.  

'My whole life, Mom's taken care of me by herself, and this is how I repay her? I just wanted to have friends, to have a little fun. I never meant to hurt her. I never wanted this. I just wanted to have a little bit of freedom.' I thought, sadly.

"Hitomi, I'm going to show you a picture." The officer said, taking out a file. He opened it and showed me a picture of a man I've never seen before. 

"Do you know this man?" He asked

"Do you know this man?" He asked."No," I answered, shaking my head. "Am I supposed to?"

"His name is Hageshi Ninamotoe. He was your father, Hitomi." The officer said. "What do you mean "was" my father? I mean, sure, he walked out on me and my mother. But he's not dead." I said. 

"On the contrary, Hitomi. Your father... is dead." 

"What?!"

"While we were searching your house, we found a secret door in the basement. Behind there, was a skeleton, and it belonged to your father."

"What? But that's not possible. My mother told me he walked out on us when I was born. Therefore, I never knew what he looked liked."

"Marika lied to you."

 I lowered my head, trying to process all of this. "How long?" I mumbled. "How long?" The officer repeated. "How long was he down there for?" I asked. "At least 12 years." He answered.

I remained quiet as I thought back to when I was taking that bath. The two people that were arguing in my dream...

One of them was Mom...

And the other... It must've been my father. It had to me.

I can't believe this...

"My mother... murdered my father..." I whispered in disbelief. "I'm sorry, Hitomi." The officer apologized. I quietly began to cry. Not only did I lose my family, but I had no idea my own mother was capable of murder. 

What will happen now, and who told the police about Mom?

Saitama's POV (A Few Moments Earlier)

"Genos, I'm gonna head over to the Leaf Village to see if Hitomi is there visiting Kiba." I informed. "And I'll continue my search here in the city." He replied. I gave a nod, then flew to the Leaf Village. When I got there, the first place I went to was the ramen shop.

There, I found some other kids. One of them looked like a cat, one looked like an emo duck, and the other one looked like a sakura petal with a big forehead. 

"Excuse me," I said, tapping the cat boy's shoulder. He and his friends turned around to look at me. "Sorry to bother you. But have you seen a girl with red hair and dark orange eyes? Here, she looks like this." I showed them Hitomi's picture. 

"Yeah, I've seen her before." The cat boy said. "Oh, really? Where?" I asked. "At a small restaurant. About a month ago." He answered. "Ah, must've been she was one a date with Kiba." I mumbled. "Wait, this girl's dating, Kiba? Kiba Inuzuka?" The boy asked. 

"You know him?"

"Yeah, he's my friend."

"Do you know where I can find him?"

"Hmm... He's probably either at his house, or at the training grounds with his team."

"Hold on, just who are you?" The pink-haired girl asked. "I'm Saitama. A hero for fun." I introduced. "Nice to meet you. My name's Naruto Uzumaki. These are my teammates, Sasuke and Sakura." The boy introduced, politely. 

"Idiot!" Sakura yelled, hitting him over the head. "Don't tell him our names! He's a stranger!"

"I was just trying to be polite." Naruto whined as he rubbed the spot where she hit him.

"You're never gonna get a guy if you keep acting like that." I mentioned to her. "What did you say?!" Sakura yelled at me. "If you keep hitting people like that, no guy is gonna fall for you. You should learn to be gentle and nice. Guys like girls like that." I advised. 

"Why, you..!" 

"Anyway, thanks for your help. See ya later." 

I headed to the training grounds Naruto mentioned and found Kiba. He was there alone with his puppy. 

"Yo." I called, walking over to him. "Hey, Saitama. What's up?" He asked. "Have you seen Hitomi? I can't seem to find her back at the city, so I came here, thinking she'd be with you." I explained. 

"Sorry, but I haven't seen her since the Hot Spring Resort." Kiba said. "Damn. Not in the city, not in the woods, not here... Where could she have gone?" I mumbled. 

"Wait, are you saying Hitomi's missing?" Kiba asked. "Looks like it. Nobody's seen her since yesterday morning. I'm getting pretty worried." I admitted. 

'Hold it... What if Marika's already got a hold of her and is hiding her somewhere in the house? Shit!' I thought. "I've gotta go!" I said. I quickly flew back to my apartment to inform Genos that Marika finally got Hitomi. 

"Genos! I think I might know where Hitomi is!" I yelled as I burst through the door. "So do I." Genos said. He had the TV remote in his hand as he was watching the news. 

"Earlier today, a local woman by the name of Marika Ninamotoe from City Z was arrested for child abuse. The victim was none other than her 13-year-old daughter, Hitomi Ninamotoe. The young girl is currently being treated at City Z's Hospital. Marika Ninamotoe will be charged with Child Abuse and sentenced to a Psychiatric Ward."

After hearing that, Genos and I quickly headed to the hospital and asked where Hitomi's room was. "Hitomi!" We yelled at the same time as we burst into the room. Her right arm was in a cast while her head, left eye, neck, and legs were bandaged.

We ran over to her and hugged her gently, in which she hugged us back. "I'm so happy to see you guys." She said in a hoarse voice. 

"Are you okay? We heard what happened." Genos said, breaking the hug. "I'll be fine. Just some minor injuries." She mumbled, smiling. But her smile disappeared as it was replaced with a small frown. "What's the matter? You look upset." I noticed. 

"Did you tell them?" Hitomi asked. "Tell who?" Genos asked. "The police. Child Services. Did you tell them about Mom? I told you, I didn't want to-!"

"Hitomi, we didn't tell anyone." I interrupted her. "What?" She asked. "We've been looking for you ever since you disappeared yesterday." Genos explained. 

"You're lying." Hitomi said with a frown. "I swear to you that we're not." Genos insisted. She frowned again, then looked at me. "Saitama, look me in the eye and tell me you didn't tell." She said. "We didn't tell anyone about your mother." I said, seriously.

"If you guys didn't tell, then who did? Was it Kiba?"

"Impossible. He was at the Leaf Village during the time your mother was arrested."

"Then, who could it have been?"

"It was me."

We all looked towards the doorway and gasped in shock. 

"Amai Mask?!"