19 - I Promise

Kiba's POV

I woke up the next morning with Hitomi by my side as she was curled up near my chest. I smiled at how relaxed and calm she looked as she slept there. "Kiba, wake up! Breakfast is on the table!" Mom called from outside my door.

I sat up in bed with a yawn, then looked at the sleeping Hitomi. I decided to wake her up and let her know breakfast was ready. "Hitomi." I whispered, gently shaking her. Hitomi slolwy opened her eyes and looked at me before yawning. "Hey." I greeted.

She sat up on her knees and rubbed her left eye with her hand. "Did you sleep okay?" I asked. Hitomi nodded her head and yawned again. My face turned a little red when I saw the front of her shirt was a little unbuttoned, revealing a bit of cleavage from her chest.

I quickly turned around and heard Hitomi mumble a sleepy, "Huh?"

"U-Um... Your shirt's unbuttoned." I mentioned, my back facing her to give her some privacy. Once Hitomi got herself situated, she tapped my shoulder, signaling me she was finished. I turned around and she gave me a small smile.

"Wanna get some breakfast?" I asked, getting off the bed. "Kiba." Hitomi spoke in a small voice. "Hmm? What's the matter?" I asked. "I'm going back to her. To Mom." She said, quietly. "What?! Why?!" I asked in disbelief.

"Because I'm worried about her. I fear if I don't go back, she'll do something bad to herself." Hitomi explained. "But you can't go back to her! She'll hurt you again! I know she will!" I said. "You don't understand." Hitomi replied.

"Then, help me understand! Why would you wanna go back to someone who will hurt you again?!" I said.

 "I... don't have a choice, Kiba. She's my mother." Hitomi said, quietly. "Wrong!" I yelled. Hitomi look at me in slight surprise when I grabbed her shoulders, but not roughly. "You do have a choice! You can get away from her!" I argued.

Hitomi stared at me before taking my hands off her shoulders. "I guess it's time I told somebody about this." She mumbled. "What do you mean?" I asked. "Kiba... Before I tell you this, you must promise me not to tell anyone else." Hitomi explained.

"Hitomi..."

"Promise me." Hitomi said, her voice a bit persistent.

"Okay... Yeah, I promise."

"Arf!" Akamaru barked. "And Akamaru promises, too." I translated. "Good," Hitomi smiled with a nod. "My mother... is very unstable."

'Yeah, I've noticed.' I thought, sarcastically.

"Mom can't be alone. In fact, she has monophobia, a fear of being alone. She's always had this need to be protective. I don't know when or how it happened, but one day, Mom suddenly started being overprotective and started feeling that everywhere I go, there'd be danger," Hitomi explained. 

"So, when she doesn't get her way, she beats me. Pretty immature, right? She believes hurting me is the only way she'll protect me from the outside world. If she hurts me, it'll prevent me from going outside. She says... it's safer if she was the one who was hurting me instead of others hurting me. It means that she truly loves me."

"Bullshit!" I snapped. "That's not love at all! She thinks you being outside that house isn't safe?! Just you being inside that house isn't safe at all!"

"Maybe so. But she's still my mother, Kiba. I have no choice but to obey." She said.

"Hitomi-!"

"Wouldn't you do anything for your mother? To make her happy? To see her smile? To let her know that you still and will always love her?"

I went to argue again, but she had a point, so I sighed in defeat. "Are you really sure about this? You really want to go back there?" I asked her. "Yes," Hitomi nodded. "I'll be okay."