Chapter Two

When they actual got into Sandringham House, the Queen was whisked away to get ready for church. Meredith, who wasn't religious, went to church nonetheless for Christmas. However, she didn't need the prep that the Queen did as pictures weren't to be focused on her. Meredith found her own way back to her room.

Harry was already up and out of the shower. He stood with his shirt off and his hair dripping. He wore a towel around his privates. When Meredith jumped into the room, Harry had a mini freak out. "Please knock next time."

"It's my room too." Meredith kissed Harry on the cheek. "And what? You're scared I might see something I've seen a million times."

Harry chuckled. "I think a million is a bit much."

Meredith arched an eyebrow. "Would a thousand, six-hundred and thirty-seven work?"

"That's oddly specific."

Snorting, she took off her boots and jackets, getting ready for the day ahead.

"You haven't been counting, have you?" Harry asked.

"No. Did you?"

"No," Harry said too quickly while shaking his head. "How was your walk this morning? Or at least I assume that's what you were doing this morning when I woke up."

"Yep, it was a walk." Meredith took off her shirt and smelt it. Sweat soaked her shirt. "I need a shower."

"Did you go for a run?" Harry knew the answer was no, but he didn't know a reason why Meredith might sweat.

"No. I ran your granny while on my walk."

He laughed. "How was that?"

"She still scares me," Meredith admitted. "She's incredibly cool and chill and awesome. Yet, she's the Queen. I cannot be just cool around her. She's the Queen! I have to not to screw up."

Walking over, Harry stood in front of his wife, rubbing his arms across her cold skin. "You'll be fine, Mere." His nose scrunched. "Mere--"

"I need a shower. I know." Meredith moved toward the restroom. "How much time do I have before we leave for church?"

"An hour."

That wasn't enough time. Meredith needed to take a shower, do her hair, do her makeup, dress and eat. Groaning, Meredith thought about what she could skip. The answer was the latter.

"I'm bring breakfast up for you." Harry kissed his wife on the forehead. "Now go take a shower."

Meredith went into the bathroom and closed the door behind her. She turned the water to hot, and she turned up the Christmas music. For the rest of the day, it was meant to be religious, but Meredith didn't mind having some Bing Crosby on her morning of Christmas. If she closed her eyes, snow was on the ground. After showering, she stepped out and dried off. Her hair needed a wash too, and now it made everything had to go faster.

While blowing out her hair, Meredith forced herself to makeup. At least she had a steady hand while doing it. She marked her eyes with eyeliner, and tan eye shadows went on. Her eyes were finished up by black mascara. It all sounded like too much, but when it came to public arrangements, this was only the start of the makeup. Her face had to be all one color with every blemish covered up. After having her hair blown out, Meredith went to straightened it. Her eyes glanced to the clock, as time went further down.

A knock came to the door. "Enter," she called.

Harry came in, holding a tray for breakfast, and he closed the door behind him. "See how nice and easy that was?"

Meredith scoffed. "Can you please just put it down? I'm running out of time."

Doing as she asked, Harry went over to the wardrobe. "What are you wearing today?"

"Um, that black dress with the red coat."

Harry pulled it out and set it on the bed. "No hat?"

"No. I got out of it with Granny." The word felt weird on her tongue. "There was a positivity to having a walk with her." Meredith finished up with her makeup and ate quickly. The last step was putting on the dress, which Harry helped with by zipping up her dress.

"You ready?" he asked.

Meredith pushed the last of the toast in her mouth and tried to smile. Grabbing a hold of him, the newlywed couple went down the stairs. Other members of the royal family were downstairs, preparing in the front. Everyone was assigned to a certain car. Harry and Meredith, also known as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, was on their own.

"What did you get this morning?" Meredith asked William and Catherine's children.

"They haven't opened presents yet," Catherine responded, fixing her hat. Charlotte pouted. "They were naughty and were up late last night. Now they will open presents after church."

"Do you have a present for me?" Charlotte asked.

"Charlotte," William scolded. "Not before church."

Meredith smiled and pulled back, not wanting to get in the middle of anything. It was just in time as well since everyone loaded into their respected vehicles. "Do you want to drive?" Harry asked, flashing the car keys.

"No." She got into the car. For the past month, Harry had been pushing the idea that it was time for Meredith to get her British driver's license. So far, she wasn't allowed to drive here, and Meredith didn't mind that.

Harry got into the driver's side, and they were off. It wasn't really much of a drive to the church, but it showed off to the world the might of British Monarchy, as most of the members stayed at Sandringham House for Christmas and went to the church for Christmas service. Harry had offered spending time with Meredith's family this year, but her father was off traveling and her older brother had a new girlfriend. 

People were already lined up outside the church, even though no one was greeted until after the service. Cameras and paparazzi were outside the church, ready to get every angle as possible. Harry was out of the car first, and he opened the door for Meredith. He kept her on the opposite side of the paparazzi as they walked inside. Meredith didn't glance their direction anyway.