Chapter Ninety-Six

Tiredness eventually claimed her, but it was another night of tossing and turning. At least some sleep managed to make its way into the night glow in Ottawa. It was rather difficult to fall asleep, even with Harry trying his hardest to comfort her. However, Meredith's mind raced. She longed to be home. While it wasn't a thought she had any control, there was no place she wanted to be besides Minnesota. Her heart ached for it, and her mind always made her believe it.

In California, New York and Washington D.C., Meredith was in her home country, but it didn't feel like her home country anymore. Though, she was able to fool herself because none of those places looked like Minnesota. California had way too many palm trees; New York City had way too many people; Washington D.C. was just a lot in general.

When she looked outside the window in Ottawa, Canada, she was not able to pretend. There were a few more Canadian flags than home, and there was some more French that she was ever used to. But the trees looked the same, and it basically smelled the same. She didn't taste gas on her tongue.

Looking out the window at the embassy, Meredith at least saw the backyard. She heard the birds chirping. Minnesota was an almost five hour plane ride away, but it felt closer than ever.

"We'll start in Ottawa this morning, and by the evening, we'll be in Montreal. Tomorrow, we'll be Quebec, and then from there, it will be the end of the tour," Jessica listed.

Meredith had to contain her enthusiasm.

Canada was a big country, and it was only fair to give them two days. More days were probably necessary, but William and Catherine visited here often so it wasn't a total loss. At the end of such a world tour, also, people expected Harry and Meredith to get a bit lazy. That wasn't their style though.

Meredith looked beautiful as well with a vibrant red dress that a white overcoat would be placed over. She was taking a page of out Caths' book by wearing a hat, even though, Meredith had been able to avoid it. She wasn't a hat person unless it was a baseball cap, but those were frowned upon for royal engagements. Later, she was going to don her red heels again, and someone was going to complain about her wearing bright colors. Truthfully, how else was someone going to pick her out of a crowd.

Harry looked rather dashing as well with his tux, but then again, Meredith always thought he looked sexy. It was only one outfit change here, but they were going to make a splash.

Stepping out of the embassy, there was a bit of a nip in the air. Weather only changed so quickly this far north, and at the beginning of June, sometimes the snow was never ending. She was, of course, used to it because of her time in Superior, Wisconsin.

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor arrived at Parliament Hill in their best clothes. Outside, they met with the Canadian prime minister. The prime minister bowed to the duke and duchess, while the duke and duchess exchanged handshakes with the prime minister. Inside the parliamentary building, the duke and duchess met with the prime minister's cabinet and the opposition. In the formal hall, the duke and duchess spoke with members of parliament from all walks of the country with many different viewpoints on politics. The duchess, like before, stayed quiet except for the occasional clarification on a certain policy. The Canadian government system followed along the British mostly, so at least the duchess had an understanding of it.

The duke and duchess then dined with the members of parliament for breakfast. The royal couple did little to eat as they fluttered around. The duchess was quite the social butterfly, and the duke snuck a few bites of a pastry.

Next, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor moved onto the National Gallery of Canada, where on display was a portrait of Her Majesty the Queen. The duke and duchess were given a personal tour around the gallery from international best-selling artists to local Canadian artists. The duke and duchess met with some of the local artists to speak about their work. One particular artist went into her background as being an indigeous person in Canada and how that had affected her artwork.

It was a stop at the embassy again as Meredith and Harry changed into their second outfits of the day. They did not need to be as formal. As they were changing, Meredith asked, "Harry, don't you have an ex-girlfriend that lives in Montreal? Isn't she like an actress or something?"

Harry cleared his throat. "That was a long time ago."

Meredith laughed.

In Montreal, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's first stop was at the Biosphere Environmental Museum. The duke had a lot of interest in the environment and climate change. The biosphere was built for the 1967 World Fair, and it had been in use ever since. The duke and duchess were given a personal tour inside the sphere to learn about exactly what it had to offer. The royal photographer followed them. The duke took lead as he asked nonstop questions about the biosphere. The Duke of Cambridge was also very interested in the environment and climate change; both sons had taken after their father, Prince Charles.

Next, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor toured the Montreal Botanical Gardens. With over 22,000 species and 75 hectares, the duke and duchess spent quite a bit of time inside the gardens. The duchess sneezed a few times from all the plants. A few good pictures were taken of the duke and duchess hiding behind leaves that were larger than them.

By the end of the tour ended, it was dark outside, and their car sped down the highways in a caravan, heading toward Quebec. Meredith was curled up beside her husband in the backseat with Bodyguard Bill driving. No one glanced at them as they passed. Bright white lights shone down as they went, and Meredith found herself growing tired right beside her husband, who let his thumb run over her shoulder.

In Quebec, Meredith was ready to pass out right then and there, but Harry insisted on some food. When it came, she was too excited to do anything.

"You didn't?" she asked.

"I know a guy," he pretended. The "guy" in question was probably Jessica and her incredible skills to find things. "After all, we're in Canada, and Quebec is supposed to have the best."

Harry needed a bit more than just poutine, but Meredith was happy with just that. There were bacon pieces on top, so her night was made with the fries, gravy, cheese curds and bacon. She argued that the cheese curds were better when they weren't already deep fried because they weren't as gooey. Harry just had to agree because he didn't know. He was able to do fish and chips a lot, but a dinner just based on fries was a bit much for him. However, he was happy to see that Meredith was happy-- and eating. Due to morning sickness, her picky eating had only gotten worse.

On the other hand, Harry was very much enjoying his burger. He was looking forward to Minnesota too because he wanted a Juicy Lucy. It wasn't what she wasn't what she was interested in, but ever since having one of those, he wasn't able to forget. When he voiced his love for them, Meredith only laughed and said they were going to get him one.

Harry spilt on his shirt. "Shite. I'll be back." He ran off to the bathroom.

With nothing else to do in the room, Meredith leaned over and into the bag. If they ever came back to Quebec, then she wanted to know where the best poutine of her life came from. Pulling out the receipt, she had a hard time pronouncing or even understanding the French name. That was one language she was never going to understand. Turning it over, the duchess saw the black Sharpie sprawled out on the back.

"Hey Mere,

"Congrats on the baby!"

Signed, "Jack."