Chapter Seventy-Seven

Birds chirped, and Meredith heard them through the window. They awoke her, yet it wasn't the worst thing that had ever woken her up. Meredith knew she needed to be happier because she was on a tropical island. Even if Meredith wanted the snow of Minnesota, she was going to be happy with Fiji. The sound of a waves crashing against the shore came next, and it really did feel like paradise. The day off in Australia was only half a great day because so much had been weighing on her mind. This morning felt like a that day off, even though she knew it was another busy day ahead.

The birds chirps were different than she knew, but then again, Meredith wasn't able to pick out any birds. Thinking about it, maybe she was able to pick out a loon, but that was because she spent summers up north and the loons were always on the lakes. This was a loon, though; she had no idea what it was. Meredith listened quietly anyway, the beautiful singing sound. Closing her eyes, she pretended to go along with it.

The crashing of the waves called out to her next, and she imagined she was in the sea, splashing around. Harry was by her side, swimming around. Those were the days. He wasn't as much of a swimmer as she was, and usually, he did it just to humor her. She was always humored.

When she wasn't able to sleep in any longer, Meredith gently rolled out bed. Glancing back, she saw that Harry didn't stir. She had grown more tired, which she assumed was from the pregnancy, but he managed to sleep more than her.

Walking into the main area, no one was awake, and no one was yet inside. Going to the right, Meredith walked out on the balcony, where the sea breeze hit her, whipping around her hair, making her look and feel like a model. It all looked ridiculous.

The sun was just coming up, and brilliant hues radiated the sky. She wasn't sure what direction she stared, but she thought it was close enough to home, where it snowed like crazy and it was cold. Fiji was paradise, but Minnesota was home.

"If you look that way," she pointed, "that way is Minnesota, and it's snowing and it's gorgeous. People complain about the cold. Minnesotans complain the cold, but only when it's windy." Meredith wasn't sure who she was talking to, mostly because she didn't want to admit that she was talking to the fetus inside of her. She pursed her lips. "I should just be honest, shouldn't I?"

Meredith waited, even though she knew no response was coming. Taking a deep breath, she continued, "I'm not sure I'm going to be a good mom. I'll try, but I don't know what I'm doing. I'll be twenty-three when you come. Keep that mind. I'll barely be an actual adult. I wanted to wait until I was thirty, but nope." She bit her bottom lip. "I don't mean to complain, but I just need you to know. I've got issues, so you might be fucked up a bit.

"But then again, all children are fucked by their parents." Meredith knew her mother had. "Also, I'm going to swear... and piss and moan about being a duchess. Is it bad that I don't want you to have a royal title? I'll have to speak to Harry about that and see what the rules are." She ran her fingers through her blonde hair. "Really, being a duchess isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It's a lot of people staring, and it's a lot of people thinking that they know you." She sighed. "Why am I telling you all the bad things about life? There are good things, like snow and this sunrise-- your dad. I hope you're ginger." She pouted. "Maybe I shouldn't say that. Some people don't like gingers." Meredith stared out at the sunrise.

Not realizing how long she had been there, it was Jessica coming out to get her that made Meredith pause. The day was about begin, and it was another busy one. Meredith liked the busy days right now because she didn't have to think too hard about her future.

Back inside, it was in the shower, in front of the vanity, at the table and time to go. Harry was in one of his formal uniforms with the white coat and black slacks with a red stripe. Harry had told Meredith many times what each of the uniforms meant, but she never remembered. Now pregnant, Meredith just blamed it on that.