Chapter Twenty-Three

It wasn't a floral dress that was placed on Meredith, but rather a dark pencil skirt and a matching jacket. The only real color came from the shirt under. Her boots were zipped up, and Meredith felt like she looked more business like than princess like. Meredith asked Jessica where she was off to, and it still wasn't the European Union. That was Harry's mission for the afternoon, whatever that meant. He wore a nice suit when he stepped out of the compartment.

"You look dashing," Meredith said.

"I do, don't I?" Harry buttoned and unbuttoned his jacket coat, doing this repeatedly like a nervous tick. His wife walked over and buttoned his jacket.

"You'll do fine. Is it the same as yesterday?"

Harry looked at his wife and said nothing.

"Delightful." Meredith smoothed down his jacket and stepped back.

Grabbing her hand, Harry made Meredith look into his eyes. "I would tell you if I could, Mere, I promise, but today, I'm not even sure what I'm doing. I don't really know what I accomplished in Berlin. Here, with the Brexit talks, I'm not sure what they expect me to do or say. I don't have any real power; the monarchy is constitutional, and Granny would be the only one with any sort of leverage."

Meredith shook her head. "It's the fact that you're going. It doesn't matter what you're doing. We're not trying to hide anything because it's on the itinerary. However, we are not supposed to be in the middle."

Harry nodded, knowing this. "There is a fine line, and I have to walk it."

Leaning over, she kissed him deeply. "Be good, would you?"

"I'll certainly try." His blue eyes looked past her as the airplane doors opened. "Do have fun today. I'll see you later."

Harry kissed her on the cheek and then exited the airplane.

Waiting, Meredith glanced out the window as a car was sent over from the monarchy for Meredith's use to the event and then the couple's use for the the dinner tonight at the Royal Palace of Brussels. The car pulled up to the airplane, and Queen Mathilde of the Belgians came out.

Meredith stood and smoothed down her skirt. Rolling her shoulders back, Meredith smiled and tried to become more natural. Jessica walked in and opened her mouth, only to find that Meredith was ready. "Your highness, your things are off to the consulate after we go in the car," Jessica stated, her eyes were still averted.

"Thank you, Jessica." Meredith grabbed her clutch. "And, Jessica, about this morning--"

"Ma'am, I'm really sorry. I'm so sorry. I overstepped--"

"Oh, shut up. It's fine. Don't worry about it. I'm over it, so you get over it." Meredith flipped her hair back and exited the airplane.

Walking down the stairs, Meredith did her best not to slip and fall. It rained, and a chilly breeze crept in. Meredith kept a umbrella above her head, even though the rain changed to come directly at her. When it came to Queen Mathilde, she was well protected against the rain, and she smiled broadly upon welcoming the British royal to Belgium.

"Your majesty." Meredith curtsied.

"Your royal highness." Queen Mathilde only tilted her head before Meredith arose. "Let's get out of the cold, shall we?" The two royals stepped into the car, and they were off to the event. "Have you ever been to Brussels, your highness?"

"Please call me Meredith, and no, ma'am. I would have liked to look down, but it is a bit cloudy."

"You must know clouds and rain better than anyone."