Chapter Seventy-One

Harry and Meredith were flying into the Solomon Islands for the events of the day. While usually they spent a night prior in the chosen country prior to the day, that wasn't the case here. It was the day here before flying off to Australia, where it was some time off before moving onto events. Jessica eyed Meredith, and Meredith completely ignored her in general. Whatever Jessica wanted, Meredith didn't want to hear it. Even then, Meredith squirmed under Jessica's gaze and behind her book. She didn't believe it, but she preferred a camera on her besides Jessica's eyes.

Beside Meredith was Harry, who was reading a file. William and Catherine had traveled here in 2012. Much of the schedule followed along their schedule, which had followed along previous schedules. It was only so often that any royals came to visit this Commonwealth nation.

When Jessica finally decided that was enough, she left the seats and found something better to do. Meredith finally relaxed. She put down her book. "Jessica is looking at me like I am a slab of meat."

Harry looked up from the file and glanced around. "Well, she's gone now."

"She wants something."

"Mere," Harry warned, "let it go. You don't want to get another fight with Jessica."

"I don't get into fights with Jessica."

"She is quite respected by Granny and inside the monarchy."

"I am not saying she isn't great at her job," Meredith disagreed. "I just don't like how she's looking at me."

Harry shrugged.

Meredith turned her attention to the window and looked outside. When they were beginning to land, the shades were to close. As for now, Meredith looked out the window. Her legs were curled up underneath her and pulled her blanket closer. It was chilly on the airplane. Her green eyes traveled across the blue water below, where islands started to rise. It was a short trip, but it felt like forever. Looking out across the water, it looked to tip off. Meredith pretended to fall off with it. She wanted to go swimming, but after yesterday's weather, she wanted snow too.

"Your highnesses," Jessica said, interrupting Meredith's thoughts, "we are going to land soon."

Reluctantly, Meredith pulled the curtain down and blocked out the light.

The airplane touched down in Honiara, Solomon Islands. The wheels skidded and hissed to a stop on the tarmac. Meredith shot forward and then settled back into the chair. She was starting to hate airplane rides. Harry, on the other hand, enjoyed them, but that was the pilot in him.

After the airplane came to a stop, the door opened, letting in the sunlight and cheering voices. Meredith and Harry hovered out of the doorway. Her stylists fluffed her hair and dress. Meredith's blonde was down for now, but as the heat leaked into the airplane, Meredith knew that wasn't for long. Where Meredith had been curling up as the cold, she now hated the heat. Her skin felt wet already.

At least she wasn't her husband. Harry wore khakis and a white shirt. They weren't matching today. Meredith wore a yellow dress, and she wasn't sure how she looked. She went with it anyway.

Jessica announced, "Your highnesses, it is time."

The duke walked out first with the duchess following two feet behind. Stepping out the airplane, the voices only grew louder. The crowd held mixed flags with the blue, red and white Union Jack flags and the blue, white, yellow and green Solomon Islands' flag. Children dressed in their school best jumped up and down, pushing to get the best view. On the walkway, the Duke and Duchess waved to the people.

Down the stairs, they walked hand-in-hand. The duchess' hair flew back, and she was thankful for the breeze. Looking radiant, she was natural and princess-like. Some people wanted to compare her to the Duchess of Cambridge, but the duchess didn't like that.