Chapter Fifty

A day off was needed, especially after the boiling point was hit over the last few days. If Harry planned this again, then he probably chose an ocean. He knew it was wrong but some part of him was happy to not be by the sea. By being landlocked, she wasn't able to swim away, though Harry doubt Meredith was going to try the delta.

They woke up in the canopied tree tops in a perfect house that was two hours away from the nearest civilization. Meredith wasn't happy about that undoubtedly. Harry woke up and slid his hand across the white cotton sheets; his eyes flashed open when he didn't feel Meredith beside him. Harry sat up in a panic, but his blue eyes found Meredith sitting on the balcony, watching her surroundings. He expected to be asleep later, but the sky was awake, so now Meredith was awake.

Even in the morning African heat, Meredith had a blanket wrapped around herself. She curled herself in a ball on the plush couch. While her eyes stared out, it was obvious that her mind was on something else. Wasn't it always? When she heard Harry behind her, Meredith sighed and looked up at him. "Good morning."

Harry placed a hand on her shoulder. "Good morning." After Harry sat down, Meredith unfurled herself and placed her legs on his lap. Harry ran his hand against the smooth legs. "So does my hair look like the sunrise?"

"We'll have to check the sunset." Meredith ran her hand through his hair. "We'll see in fact if your hair is African sunset." Her green eyes turned back to the horizon.

"So, what do you want to do today?" Harry had his own ideas.

Meredith sighed again. "I'm sure we can think of things to do." While they had a car, they weren't going anywhere. She had enough of the public for a while. She had enough of everyone for a while. Somehow she wanted more time with Harry, even though she didn't mind some alone time.

"What did you have in mind?" Harry asked.

Meredith snorted. "This is how our day is going all day."

"How about we do this a little bit longer?" Harry began. "And then breakfast?"

A moan escaped her lips, and maybe breakfast was coming than he thought. However, they stayed their comfortably watching the sunrise. A rainbow of hues spread across the sky, and the sun lit up the world. The vastness spread as sun light every last surface. The delta sparkled as water pushed through. On the horizon, animals crawled from their nighttime sleeping areas and came to the delta for an early morning drink.

Meredith shed the blanket when the heat became too much. She wanted the snow so much.

"Breakfast time." Harry didn't even need an answer as he got up and helped his wife up.

In the kitchen, Harry made breakfast while Meredith started doing the dishes as they went. He wanted a gourmet meal, so he cooked one. Meredith had to entertain herself as she blasted music and began to dance around. Harry laughed at the dork of his wife, and Meredith laughed too. Her hearty laugh that came deep in her gut filled the room, and she started moving her hips. She grabbed at Harry to join her.

"Do you want breakfast or to dance?" Harry asked.

Meredith had to think about it. "Okay. You make breakfast. I'll show what you're missing."

With his wife's dancing, Harry found it hard to keep an eye on breakfast. When the song picked up, Meredith wasn't as much as dancing as jumping around. Harry couldn't remember the last time that she had this fun or when she smiled this much naturally. Harry though that plastered smile had almost become her face.

"Breakfast is ready." Harry served her, and she almost didn't settle. After breakfast, Meredith still had energy, even as she walked over to the dishes and started on the task. Harry came over and took them from her. "Why don't you dance a bit more?"

"Oh." Meredith was happy not to do the dishes. "You want to see this?" The Duchess of Windsor moved her body.

"You're a much better dancer than me," Harry conceded.

"Like it's hard," she replied.

Harry finished up the dishes and turned back to his wife. She was off in her whole world again, and it was always a wonder where she went. Her face had gone stiff with a frown even though her body continued to move. It wasn't the monarchy frown, so he thought at least there was something positive to be found. Her frown was more like remembering that she needed to do something and was annoyed by it.

Walking over, Harry wrapped his arms around his wife and kissed her cheek. Her hand came up to his face and slid it across. Her fingers, as her eyes weren't able to see his face, touched his lips, and she smiled. "Are there leftovers?"

"Yes," Harry said. "Why?"

"I'm going to be hungry later." Meredith turned around and planted a deep kiss on his lips. Harry was surprised at first, but then again, this was what he had been waiting for.

He missed his wife on so many levels, and the tour had driven a wedge between them. He knew Meredith was a very particular person, and she had whims. She always tried her best and she was devoted to him, but it was easy to see when life wore her down, especially when she desperately tried to fit in.

"It's good to know you're not getting sick of me," Harry said through the kisses.

"Not yet," Meredith replied as she led him upstairs.

The day was spent in bed, and they only left for snacks and bathroom breaks. When the sun started to set, Harry and Meredith walked over and stood on the other balcony. The world had begun to turn dark, and tomorrow, it was back to society. It was an early morning ride before a flight. Meredith was back to reality of dresses, makeup and tiaras. It wasn't a normal reality, but it was hers.

Harry and Meredith stood and watched the sunset. "Now there," Meredith pointed. "That's the color of your hair." Harry kissed his wife on the cheek.