Chapter Eighty-Five

This was a delicate situation. Normally, the queen was to come down and deal with it. Charm and promises were needed. Nations usually threatened to leave the Commonwealth when they felt neglected, which was the why the queen came down. If not the queen, then it was Prince Charles or Prince William, since they were the heirs. However, with the "abolition of the monarchy" only announced a few weeks ago, the monarchy didn't want to be seen as too desperate to keep one of their countries around. After all, everyone remembered the colonization of the world with the British monarchy being a large part of it.

Since they didn't want to come off as too desperate, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor kept their course, hoping to smooth out any wrinkles. Perhaps Prince Charles-- the next king-- was better suited, but the monarchy needed to keep a certain air about it.

The queen had stopped a few countries from leaving the Commonwealth. One of the most infamous was when the queen danced with the leader of a country. The queen wasn't known to dance, and many people thought that it was below her to dance, but she did it. She kept the country within the Commonwealth.

Most countries just needed some tender love and care. There are countries that regularly fell through the cracks. St. Vincent and the Grenadines were in that mix. In the Caribbean, none of the countries were as large or famous as Canada or Australia, who got the most attention during Commonwealth tours. They deserved more attention, but to be honest, there wasn't much to do.

Harry and Meredith sat at the breakfast table as Jessica, the monarchy's ever most loyalist, gave her spiel about why it was important to keep the countries within the Commonwealth. She had bullet points. Harry and Meredith listened politely, but they both knew, seeing that they were the royals involved. Jessica talked with incredible devotional to the monarchy, and she spoke like she gave a pep-talk to a sports team.

Sometimes it was the people that worked for the monarchy who were most interested in the monarchy. For Jessica, this wasn't just another job for her-- this was "the" job. Unlike Bill or Bella who moved on from other security jobs to this security job, this was Jessica's dream job-- the job that she had worked so hard for her whole life, even though she was barely thirty. Growing up, Jessica wanted to be a princess, but then she grew out of that phase. She loved the institution still, but she found she had other passions. One was able to argue that the people who made the monarchy were actually the people behind the scenes. The royals in front of the cameras were just puppets. Meredith felt that.

She ate her buttered bread, ready to do what they told her to do today. From across the table, she gave her husband a look, and he gave her a dorky smile. Jessica was so involved in her speech that she didn't even realize. When the speech was finished, Meredith had to keep her hands down at the table in fear that she was going to clap sarcastically.

Meredith respected Jessica because she understood that Jessica had a job, but also she liked to do what she liked. In this case, Meredith wasn't going to be allowed to go much off of the schedule. After all, they were "trying to save the Commonwealth."

In the capital of Kingstown, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor arrived with glowing smiles and lovely waves. They were in love, which was easy to see. The duchess was glowing in her blue dress that whipped in the wind. It was a new dress; it was probably necessary after finding out that St. Vincent and the Grenadines wanted to leave. The duke wore a tan suit, and he looked incredibly attractive. He wore dark sunglasses, and someone called out, "It's James Bond!"

The duke and duchess met with the government and military officials of the islands. They bowed to the royal couple, but it was easy to see the divide. The duke had some time set aside to speak with the officials, but the duchess was not allowed in the discussion. The duke had the history, but the duchess was always more interested in politics; arguably, she was better at it.