Chapter Forty

They had spent their night in the United Arab Emirates, and it was the best this way since a preparation was needed in the morning. The UAE was an interesting place when thinking about it: first because it was an absolute monarchy compared to the UK's constitutional monarchy; second because it was made up of seven emirates that each had their own ruling family; third because there was only 1.4 million Emirate citizens and 7.8 immigrants and some migrant workers. It was an early morning to be ready, and Meredith was once again dressed with most of skin covered. Her hair was covered just like it had been yesterday. The Muslim country was small compared to Saudi Arabia, and in one day, each emirate was to be hit.

The beginning was in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, the largest out of the seven the capital. Most of the money came from oil and gas. Al Nahyan was the ruling family, coming from the branch of Al-Falahi.  Sheikh Khalifa, the President of the UAE, was there to greet the Duke and Duchess of Windsor at the first stop. Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan was his long name, and he stood as emir and president since 2004. However, once at the presidential palace, the royal couple split up.

Upon coming up to the palace, Meredith's jaw dropped. While it wasn't an uncommon occurrence, it had been a while-- and here she thought she was getting used to all of this. Shining in the light, the white marbled looked to have been shined recently. The sun hit the stone brilliantly. Upon stepping out of the car, every step taken echoed across the massive palace.

As well as stepping out of the vehicle, Meredith was surrounded by her all female security. Wearing all black, the females were not to be messed with. There was at least twelve, and they were around her at all times. The females had been practicing, and they had last been in use when the Duchess of Cornwall had been for a visit. The duke was taken elsewhere while the duchess spoke with her guards for the day. It was a busy day ahead of them, and it was best to get a move on.

Sheikh Khalifa greeted the duke first. The sheikh kept a respectful distance from the duchess, who didn't move closer either. The sheikh and the duke had been talking before Meredith had arrived, and the language quieted as Meredith stood there. Meredith was very much excluded, especially as the men walked away and Meredith was told to stay. A short while later, they came back, and soon enough, the duke and duchess were off again, driving into Sharjah.

It was a caravan of cars again, sleek and black against the hot desert. Eventually the cities fell away for a short while. Within a small country and having so many people, it didn't seem like it was possible to lose the city. It was only for a few minutes before houses arose around them again. Driving along the east coast, they went past rolling waves on the sea, and Meredith wished for more green instead of the tan. 

Sharhaj had the same ruler as Ras al-Khaimad, Sultan bin Muhammad Al-Qasimi, who greeted them upon their arrival at the Sharhaj Chamber.  Also known as Sheikh Sultan III, he waited at the front entrance for the royal couple, who stepped out of the vehicle and into the sun. It was a quick greeting and an easy escape inside. The chamber was meant to push the UAE forward in the world with commercial and industrial development. Meredith was happy for the air conditioning and lack of windows. Sheikh Sultann III led them around as a tour guide, knowing the best at these things since he was lead. He had been the ruler since 1972. In 1987, his brother attempted a coup but failed. The sultan spoke loudly and clearly with voice echoing off the halls as they walked. Each step Meredith took, her guards took as well.

After Sharhaj, it was off to Fujairah.

Fujairah was ruled by the Al Sharqi, and it sat the mouth of historically one of the most important trade routes. As they drove in, thankfully the air conditioning was on. As the car came to a halt, immediately the humid air seeped into the car, making Meredith queasy. The ruler, Sheikh Hamad bin Mohammed bin Hamad bin Abdulla Al Sharqi , and his wife, Her Highness Sheikha Fatima bint Thani bin Saeed Al Maktoum, waited outside their palace. Their palace was certainly not the presidential palace, as this palace was yellow on the outside and was square with an overhanging roof. It rested beach side with seagulls flying in the background and the water beckoning on a hot day.