Chapter Fifty-Five

Touching down in Lusaka that night, Meredith's head pounded. The sun began to set on the horizon as they arrived at the hotel. Thankfully, the media hadn't been alerted to the presence of the royal couple. Meredith wasn't wearing things that a normal duchess was supposed to wear in public, but she hadn't been quick to jump back into a dress for the rest of the day. At the hotel, Meredith was happy to lay on the bed. With her new concussion, she had a hard time reading but TV did nothing to relax her. After Harry finished up another call with Buckingham Palace, he joined his wife in the master bedroom.

When he rolled onto the bed, Meredith let out a shudder. "How aren't you hurt?" she asked.

"I fell into you, not the window." Harry was hurt slightly. His seatbelt left a bruise across her chest, but it was going to be gone in a few days. "Is the medication wearing off?"

"Yes."

"Do you want more?"

"No. It makes my head fuzzy." At this point, Meredith didn't know if her head hurt because of the concussion or if she had a banging migraine.

Harry nodded.

Slowly, Meredith curled into Harry, placing her heavy head on Harry's chest. She still needed to take a shower tonight to get the blood out of her hair, but she hoped Jessica was going to leave it alone. Yawning, her whole body shook.

"Are you cold?" he asked.

Meredith shook her head, listening to his heartbeat.

Harry's hands ran down her arms, feeling goosebumps on her skin. "What's up, Mere?" She dug her face into his chest and said nothing. Gently bringing his fingers through her hair, Harry waited patiently for Meredith to say something. She wasn't one to be quiet when she was upset. Her eyes were directly into his soft shirt, and Harry felt it grow wet. "Mere, tell me what's up."

Sniffling, Meredith popped her head up with her eyes red. "I shouldn't be freaking out so much."

"You have a right to be upset," Harry said. "You have a right to be scared. People were throwing molotov cocktails at the car, and a bomb went off. That wasn't supposed to be happen."

"And the gunshots?" Meredith wondered. "That was the military shooting at the protestors. How many of them are dead?" Zimbabwe had killed protestors of the government in the past; they did now.

"The military was protecting us, Mere, and I understand why you're focused on it. But, Mere, did you think that you're focused on the wrong thing so you don't have to deal with the present?"

"Because we almost got blown up?" Tears burned her eyes again, and she wiped them hastily with the back of her hand. Maybe "almost blown up" was too strong, but it felt that way. "I was prepared for a lot of things, you know, Harry. I can tell you all about royal families and how governments work. I wasn't prepared for the danger that might come from this, because, honestly, I didn't see this coming," she rambled. "I didn't think my life was going to be in danger like this. I didn't think that someone wanted to kill me." Her voice grew out of frustration. "Not at one point in my life did I imagine danger, but that was my bad because I keep forgetting about Jack Campbell— and he's the worst thing that has ever happened to me."

Harry swallowed. Jack Campbell, too, had slipped his mind. Carefully, Harry lifted her chin. "Jack Campbell didn't do this."

"I really thought Jack Campbell couldn't do anything, but then he decided to kill some people and stalk you and me." Meredith brushed her hair back. "I know I sound crazy because you're right: there's no way Jack Campbell did this. He's in prison. He can't touch us, but I feel like he's always watching."