Chapter Eighty-Eight

The alarm clock went off, and Meredith groaned. She pushed her head further into the pillow and pulled the soft blankets over her head. Beside her, Harry chuckled. Reaching over her, he turned off the alarm clock.

"Come on, Mere," he said.

"No." She pushed herself under the covers more.

The dancing last night had been magical and she had enjoyed it very much, but now she dealt with the consequences this morning. She wasn't refreshed from the dancing, even though the imagines played in her head. The airplane ride had been pushed back, and while it was a short plane ride, they arrived here in the early morning. Jessica hadn't been impressed, but she wore the same old face all the time.

Coming off from dancing the night away, her legs and throat were sore. Her stomach twisted and turned, but she didn't actually know if that was from dancing or being pregnant. When she had drank some water, some of it managed to come up, but at least Meredith hid that. Her head banged. All she longed for was more sleep.

Harry dipped below the covers too and found it just as comfortable. "It's only a couple of weeks left until we are done, and then you can sleep in all you want."

While it was reasonable, it didn't make her want to get up anymore.

"Your highness!" called Jessica through the door. "Are you up and moving?"

Meredith refused to say anything , but Harry spoke, "She already up and moving."

"I don't hear the shower going," Jessica replied.

Harry glanced toward his wife, unsure how to lie about this, and Meredith replied, "Tell her I'm puking up my guts. She'll believe that." Meredith felt it, and lies were best when kept close to the truth.

Replying to Jessica, Harry said, "She's puking up her guts."

On the other side of the door, there was silence as Jessica thought. And then she said, "Tell me if the duchess needs anything." Her footsteps faded away.

Harry relaxed on the bed, letting out a sigh and running his fingers through his ginger hair. "She is going to notice soon enough."

"She probably already knows," Meredith said, "but she is being nice, which is lovely change in attitude." Her toes curled in the bed, and she stretched her back. They needed to be somewhere in some time, and they had to do something. It was hard, but Meredith got up from bed and stood. Her stomach felt empty, but still, morning sickness gnawed at her.

She went about her morning routine with a shower, outfit change and makeup application. At breakfast, Harry ate hungrily, and Meredith picked at the food in front of her. Jessica went through the schedule for the day with her heels clicking against the ground. In the Caribbean, Meredith was in wedges for the summer-like weather. She also wore a bright color, one that usually the queen wore, but Meredith borrowed for the day.

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor arrived at the governor general's house, where they were welcomed by the governor general and other politicians. They met important military leaders, and they met with important members of public.

Taking a seat, the duke and duchess watched a military parade with their matching uniforms and high boots. Loud music placed in the background. It was the duchess' first military parade, having never been to the Trooping of the Colour, but she did her duty well. When the parade ended, the duke-- dressed in his military best-- inspected the soldiers. 

After the inspection of the troops, the duke and duchess had a quick change out of their best and into sports clothes. Paparazzi and the media caught up with the royals at Vivian Richards Stadium, where the duke and duchess met with players and volunteers for a Youth Sports Festival.

Some of the best cricket players in the whole world came from the Caribbean, with Antigua being no exception. Three of Antigua and Barbuda's cricket legends hosted the royals: Sir Vivian Richards, Sir Andy Roberts and Sir Curtly Ambrose. Yesterday, the duke and duchess played cricket, and after the duchess' showing of her cricket skills, there was no need for her to show off her skills again, unless she wanted to.

Together, they toured the ground and met with local children and young people, who played many of the national sports. The duke and duchess both played many sports growing up, and the duke found it very important that sports played a part in a child's life. It was one of his key focuses.  On the field, the duke ran around with the children while the duchess spoke with their leaders.

From there, the duke and duchess had another outfit change, where the duchess was back in a dress and heels. She had been glowing this morning, and now with her blonde hair down, it flowed. Unlike most mornings, they didn't straighten her hair, and it curled and then frizzed in the heat. The duchess seemed more relaxed this way.

At the Government House in Antigua's capital of St. John's, their royal highnesses attended a Charities Showcase on the tropical grounds. Nolan Hue, the Halo Foundation, Scouts and the Girl Guides were only a few of the charities, and they did important work within the country. The duke worked closely with the Halo Foundation, and he welcomed his old colleagues. 

For a fourth time that day, the duke and duchess changed their outfits. Back at the villa, Meredith was put in a summery dress with roses on it. They made her wear flats for the evening, which matched her dress. In the mirror, she watched as the stylists did her makeup with extra highlighter and pink lip gloss.

"You're making me look young," Meredith remarked, remembering she was twenty-two, which already pretty young.

"We're trying to give you some color," Jessica sat as she walked in. "You were looking a bit pale today."

"People said I looked glowing."

"Everyone says that all the time," Jessica replied. "They want a response out of you because everyone is waiting for an announcement. They are hoping you mess up."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." Meredith fiddled around with the braids in her hair. There were two, and then they were braided back and up. It was more of a Catherine look than anything else, but then again, Catherine had great style.

When she walked out, Harry was waiting in his black tux with a few medals hanging from his chest. Harry noticed his wife, and a large grin crossed his face. He chewed on his bottom lip and had a certain twinkle in his eye.

Meredith whispered, "Wipe that look off your face."

Harry didn't. "You can't get pregnant twice."

"You look like you want to try." Meredith brushed past him and out to the car.

At Barnacle Point, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor arrived at a reception hosted by the prime minister. Cameras flashed, and the royal couple looked absolutely dazzling. The duchess shined in her dress. Walking over to the entrance, they met with the prime minister and their spouse, and they stopped to take a few photos.

Inside the reception, the duke and duchess met with many Antiguan and Barbudan people, including young cultural ambassadors, local celebrities, international celebrities and important people to the country. Unlike the previous night, they left on schedule.