Chapter Seventy-Three

When Meredith finally decided to leave the bathroom, she didn't realize that walking out meant walking into a lion's den. Jessica was waiting with her hair pulled back to reveal her sharp features, and the secretary's hands were crossed over her chest. She stood in a defensive stance, and all Meredith wanted to do was go back into the bathroom. She stumbled into Harry, who was also trying to exit.

Sighing, Meredith moved out of the way and laid on the bed. The more she didn't speak, the more she was able to ignore Jessica, not that she was going to make it easy.

"Your highnesses," Jessica began, "are congratulations in order?"

Meredith didn't have to open her eyes to know that Jessica watched Harry because he wasn't able to keep anything off his face. Now, his face gave it away, breaking into a large grin. A chuckle made him choke up. With one look from his wife, he shut it all down.

"I see, your highnesses."

Meredith mumbled, "I bet."

"Arrangements will have to be made," Jessica began.

"No!" Meredith roared. "No. No arrangements-- no nothing. No one will know. No one." Her eyes watched Jessica with a deadly glare. Automatically, Harry took a step back, but Jessica wasn't as intimidated. However, that didn't last long because Meredith had the ability to scare anyone. "Nothing will change."

Jessica swallowed but managed to speak clearly, "Ma'am, you are carrying an heir."

"There are two children in front of this one: George and Charlotte. Unless something really bad is going to happen, then no one needs to know. I don't see a plane crash coming, do you?" Meredith didn't wait. "Nothing will change."

"Ma'am," Jessica said it slowly, as if she was trying to come off as a friend, "you say that now, but it is possible that you may not feel this way in the future. Having a child is difficult, and changes will need--"

Meredith spat, "I will tell you if those changes are necessary." The only sickness she felt right now was a raging headache, but that came from the stress. She didn't even feel sick right now. Maybe the case was going to be different tomorrow, but as for now, it didn't matter.

Jessica looked over to Harry. "Sir, you understand that--"

"Harry, I swear to God--" What had they just talked about in the bathroom? Harry had promised.

He knew this, and he wasn't going against his wife. "I agree with Mere. If she feels it is necessary, then she will tell you, but until then, it will go unspoken." Well, it was going to go as unspoken as possible. Undoubtedly, Jessica was going to make some calls to Buckingham Palace. Bodyguards Bella and Bill were going to know. Maybe her stylists were going to be told-- and, of course, this was how rumors started. There were already so many rumors.

Jessica turned her attention back to Meredith, knowing that she ultimately made this choice in the relationship. "Ma'am, if you start to show--"

"It's a good thing that people consider me fat," Meredith bit off, giving Jessica a side-eye. "People already think I am a fat, so if they notice me getting bigger, let the media go with fat. Who cares? I don't want anyone to know right now, Jessica, so no one will know. That's an order."

That was the first time that Meredith had given an order here because she realized people had a job to do and she didn't want to be a burden to anyone-- but damn, it felt good for people to listen for once. In the monarchy, everyone thought that they were doing the work of the monarchy, and sometimes things needed to be done, whether or not it was acceptable. Meredith wasn't going to let this be one of those cases.

"That will be all, Jessica. You are excused." Meredith rolled over in bed and wasn't going to listen to whatever Jessica had to say. There was a few seconds where it was complete silence in the master bedroom, and then Jessica's heels clicked against the ground. The door opened, and the door closed. That was the end of that.

Harry rolled into bed beside his wife and looked at her. She refused to open her eyes. He sighed and stared at the ceiling.

Tears burned Meredith's eyes, and she took a shaky breath. She was ready for this day to be over. Tomorrow, then maybe, she was ready to deal with it. "You can be happy, Harry."

A smile cracked on his face, but he managed to keep his voice not too excited. "Are you sure?"

Meredith peeked through her dark eyelashes. "Yes, I know that you have wanted this for a long time, and you are now going to be a dad. Congratulations!"

Now, with Meredith's blessing, it was hard to keep the excitement contained. Whether it was a boy or a girl-- he hoped it was a girl-- Harry knew what was going to happen next. He knew what he wanted to teach his kid. He knew what he wanted to his kid to act like and sound like. He wanted his kid to go to university, and he wanted his kid to come out with some fancy degree. Also, he knew he was going to have to give some of an American upbringing to kid, plating catch and apple pies. Meredith didn't like pie, but at this moment, Harry didn't care.

The only thing that brought a smile to Meredith's face was watching Harry rejoice at the news. He shook the bed in excitement, but that wasn't how she wanted the bed to shake. As quick as that thought came, it left. That was how she got into this situation in the first place.

Harry's blue eyes came to Meredith. "Are you excited, Mere?"

"Nervous," she corrected.

Wrapping his arms around Meredith, Harry wasn't sure how to convince his wife that it was going to be all okay. He wasn't sure what promises to give her. However, promises wasn't what she needed. She needed action to prove it was to be done, and Harry knew he was able to do that for her. He knew that he was going to prove it to her. He was going to be there for everything. After all, she gave him what he always wanted: a happy life-- the baby was just an added bonus.

Snuggling up to her, Harry kissed her on the cheek, fingers trailing over her skin. Meredith sensed what he wanted, and she gave it to him. Taking his hand, Meredith lied it over her stomach, where their child grew. A shiver went over Harry's body with anticipation.