Chapter Thirty-Eight

The morning came too quickly, and Jessica pulled Meredith out of bed. 

"Harry, save me," Meredith groaned.

Laying on his stomach, Harry extended a hand to grab her but missed entirely. His eyes remained closed. "Sorry, Mere. You're on your own." He went back to sleep.

Sitting in front of the vanity, Meredith was poked and prodded. Her hair was straightened as someone did her makeup. Coffee was put out in front of her, even though she never drank it. It didn't stop the smell from whiffing in the air and making Meredith want to vomit.

Harry was pushed out of bed and into the shower. Clothes were laid out on the bed, and Meredith was dressed and then stepped up into the heels. Queen Rania was always perfect when it came to fashion. At least Harry didn't have to rival Abdullah II of Jordan. She was prim and proper when she was sent down for breakfast. There was always a difference between Harry's food and hers, and she was expected to accept it. When no one was looking, Harry pushed food over to her plate, and this was what her life was like.

Jordan was a large enough country where several days were to be spent here. However, like all the other countries, they were pushed through. On a world tour, two nights were too many. Harry was off in the morning with Abdullah and his sons, most likely to see the military. On the other hand, Queen Rania had something special planned out for the duchess. Thankfully, while fashionable, there wasn't a need for heels or a flimsy skirt. The real competition came tonight at a state dinner.

The car came for the duchess and Bodyguard Bella at the British consulate. Queen Rania stepped outside, looking beautiful as ever with glowing skin and lushes hair. Meredith, on the other hand, had sunscreen on with her hair pulled back because she liked the fiddle with it, as Jessica stated. Meredith did the formal curtsy-- or the best she was able to do in pants-- to the queen, who didn't care about protocol. Rania kissed Meredith on the cheek and grabbed her hand.

"I'm sorry to rush us, but it is a bit of a longer drive. I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all, your majesty."

"Please Raina." She slid into the car.

Meredith glanced back at Jessica, who shook a small bottle of anti-motion sickness pills. Those were going to be needed. Sliding into the car beside Rania, she forgot how talkative the woman was, not that Meredith minded. It was hard for Meredith just to slid into conversation, but with in Rania, it became second nature. Meredith only met Rania once-- maybe twice at the most-- and it was around the time Meredith was marrying Harry. The wedding had been a rather large affair.

"Apologies for the long drive," Rania said.

"I don't mind, really." Meredith knew where they were going, even if Jessica hadn't been pleased, but after the incident just a day ago, it was necessary for some good publicity. As well as, she wanted to see it herself. This was a personal trip for her, even though the monarchy claimed no opinion on the matter.

The Zaatari refugee camp house 86,000 at its peak in 2015. It was an hour or so outside Amman but the nearest city was Mafraq. The camp was one of a kind in many ways; one of the most evolved ways were stalls set up like a marketplace from the locals, where refugees were allowed to go and buy what they needed on cards provided by the United Nations. For other goods, the money of the refugees were used with little coffee shops and shisha shops. Most of the refugees within the camp were from Syria; however, there were migrants about, who came from neighboring nations. When capacity was hit in 2015 with 60,000 refugees, a second refugee camp was built twenty miles away, but it was easy to see it didn't matter. 

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees ran the refugee camp, with Killian Kleinschmidt at its helm. There were at least thirty other organizations that helped the camp. Mr. Kleinschmidt was there to meet the two royals as their cars pulled into the front. He greeted the royals respectively, knowing the Queen of Jordan very well, and immediately, he jumped into action, talking as he walked.