Chapter Eleven

Harry indeed changed too, but not to the full extent of Meredith. It was a fresh suit, and his tie had been changed. His shoes were the same along with his shirt. Meredith was in yet another dress with a thicker jacket than her Portugal one. Even though the sun shone down in Spain, it was a little colder in Madrid than it was in Lisbon because it was inland.

When the airplane landed, Meredith stood next to Harry as they waited for it to be pulled into the gate. "I see they still didn't give you pants," he responded.

"I know." Meredith tried to keep her annoyance out of her voice. Her fingers ran down her dress as she tried to calm it down a bit. While the closest layer to her skin was weighed down in case of a breeze, the rest of it was fluffy, like it wanted to fly in the breeze. It certainly wasn't Meredith's normal fashion style.

"Are you nervous?" Harry asked.

"No, it's just a bit much, don't you think?"

Harry glanced at it more intently. "I think it looks nice. It's... poofy."

Meredith rolled her eyes.

"Come on, Mere," Harry smiled, "you look gorgeous. You'll knock them dead."

"You know who always looks gorgeous? Queen Letizia," Meredith said. "I wonder what she'll be wearing. I bet it's amazing."

"I've never noticed." Harry looked forward.

"About which part?"

Jessica walked forward and curtsied. "Your highnesses, the aeroplane's door are about to open. Are you ready?"

Nodding, Meredith slid her arm through Harry's arm, and he said, "Yes, thank you." 

Jessica stepped back, never turning her back, and she gave the all clear for the door to open. As it began to open, the roaring came. There were the crowds and the cameras, which all exploded in noise as it opened. Harry was seen first, and Meredith stepped out with him and into the sun. While it was a bit chillier than Lisbon, cold wasn't correct to Meredith. The two smiled and waved as they came out, and then they went down the stairs.

"Letizia is wearing pants," Meredith muttered, and Harry chuckled beside her.

While Harry knew the royals of Europe, having met them several times throughout his royal life, Meredith only met the King and Queen of Spain once. Their two daughters, she knew even less about. King Felipe was tall, about six meters, and even in Meredith's heels, he towered over her. She was used to tall people, with both sides of her family being the same height of him if not taller, but King Felipe looked as if he was giant. It didn't help that Queen Letizia was barely almost a foot shorter than him. Even in her heels, she looked tiny.

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor bowed and curtsied to the King and Queen of Spain, showing respect, and respectfully, the king and queen nodded back. After that, it was a more friendly opening. Harry shook hands with Felipe and then Meredith did; Harry shook hands with Letizia and then Meredith did. When it came time to their teenage daughters, the two girls-- Leonor, Princess of Austurias, and Infanta Sofia-- were still growing up.

Queen Sofia, the King of Spain's mother, was also with them, and Harry bowed again to her before shaking her hand. The king's father wasn't here, but nothing really brought him out of abdication, especially some lower level royals from Britain. If the Queen of England walked this red carpet now-- and the Spanish royal family had in fact brought out red carpet-- then maybe the old king might show up.

Thankfully, English was spoken by everyone there because, once again, Meredith couldn't communicated. Having gotten low grades in high school in Spanish, Meredith decided to take German, which she now had somewhat of the ability to do. King Felipe and Prince Harry walked first with Queen Letizia and the Duchess of Windsor walking second. The Queen Mother and the two daughters brought up the rear.

"How have you been enjoying your tour so far?" Queen Letizia asked, smiling to the crowds and waving.

"It's exciting, your majesty." Meredith tried to mimic what the queen did, and she almost managed to hit herself in the face. The Queen of Spain moved so eloquently in such graceful motions. Meredith's goal wasn't to fall on the carpet that had purposely been placed on the ground. "There have been so many wonderful moments so far, and I hope to continue on with them here in Spain."

The queen smiled. "The prime minister is sad to have missed you on this fine afternoon, but you will meet him at the state dinner tonight."

"I'm looking forward to it."

With a final wave, the both of the royal couples slipped into the car. A second car took the Queen Mother of Spain and her two granddaughters back to the palace, but King Felipe insisted on driving to their destination for a charity event. Harry took up the front seat while the queen sat behind her husband and Meredith did the same with her own. Felipe's seat was pushed back all the way for his long legs, but Harry adjusted his as soon as Meredith gracefully slid in. The motorcade started up, and the two female royals in the back waved politely to the press and watchers. At least Meredith didn't need to be concerned of protests happening.

 King Felipe and Prince Harry talked easily in the front seat about the charity event for a few minutes before turning it over to the sports. The king asked the duke about looking forward to spring and with the polo. Harry gave the answer that thankfully his people had worked it into the schedule that he would have polo to play across the world.

"And you, Meredith, do you like polo?" Felipe asked.

"I have never played, your highness."

The king chuckled. "Call me Felipe. No one knows what we're talking about now." He turned his attention back to Harry. "You must get her to play."

Harry smirked. "Meredith is more of a watcher than a player when it comes to polo. She doesn't like riding too much either."

"A shame, truly." The king's dark eyes flashed back. "You're missing out on a lot." It was silent in the car for a second as it pulled in, and then Felipe smiled. "Here we are. Best of luck to all of you." He slipped out of the car quickly.

What does that mean? Meredith thought, and she slid gracefully out of the car, keeping in mind that her knees needed to stay perfectly together. Cameras flashed and people screamed as they went into the event.