Chapter Sixty-Two

The couple landed in Bhutan the night prior, and at the hotel, Harry climbed into the plush bed beside his wife. Meredith read a book but continued to yawn. He put his wet head on her shoulder, reading the page along with her. In the middle of the book, he had no idea what was going on, but he went on with it nonetheless.

Outside the door, there was a bustle of activity. When they woke up in the morning, it was going to be a busy and high-pressured day when meeting with the Bhutanese royal family. Meredith read to ignore what came next in the morning and take her mind off everything that was happening. When she was younger, she used to read all the books about being a princess; now that she basically one, none of those books were touched. She had dipped into more genres, not all of them friendly.

"Why is she dead?" Harry asked, head still on her shoulder.

"No idea," Meredith responded. "That's the part that makes it a mystery."

"I didn't know you were in crime mystery."

"I'm into thrillers-- among other things." This book was just a thriller.

Harry craned his neck to get a better look at his wife. "Aren't I thrilling enough?" Suddenly, he flipped over, and Meredith set down her book so that it wasn't smooshed. "Isn't this thrilling?" His body was completely over her, legs and arms on either side, his face very close to her own.

"No offense, but I've seen this all before."

"Oh, so you want to get kinky?" He raised an eyebrow.

"No." Meredith pushed him off, and Harry landed on the fluffy bed again.

"It was worth a try." Harry ran his fingers through his wet hair. "Then I'm off to bed. Good night." He kissed his wife on the cheek and then threw the covers over himself.

Meredith finished up with the chapter and then turned off the light. She drew the covers up to her chin, even though it was fairly warm. She felt Harry shift the bed as he breathed, clearly asleep now. She was surprised he was able to sleep on something so soft; he complained that their bed back at Kensington Palace was too soft. Meredith watched the shadows under the door. The voices didn't travel into the master bedroom, but their shadows leaked in. Tomorrow was going to be a lot; maybe not in the way of events but the eyes were going to be on her again with other royals.

In the morning, Meredith was in and out of the shower in record time. They did her hair and makeup real nice, and it was a new outfit for the morning, where it was an official welcoming ceremony. In the afternoon, Meredith was off with the queen consort and Harry was off with the king. Meredith was dressed in a European version of what was supposed to be Bhutanese traditional wear.

In 2016, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge traveled to Bhutan, where they participated in a number of activities. They had a bit more time here than the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

In South Asia, Bhutan ranks first in economic freedom, peace and easiness of business. They were voted least corrupt country. They were second in income per capita. Most of their power came from hydroelectric power. Also, Bhutan pioneered the concept of gross national happiness. Even with all of these things, Bhutan continued to be a least developed country.

On the steps of Dechencholing Palace, the Druk Gyalpo, also known as the Dragon King, and his wife, Druk Gyaltsuen-- the Dragon Queen-- stood. Besides the Dragon King and Queen, they were also known the British royal family as Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck and Jetsun Pema. The history between Bhutan and Britain wasn't always strong but now, it was. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor approached slowly, showing their respect in British and Bhutanese traditions.

Cameras watched every move, and after the formal welcoming had taken place, they moved inside the palace. The Dechencholing Palace was beautiful, and it was quite modern in comparison. Indian ambassadors regularly visited the palace to talk with the Dragon King and politicians. Outside and inside were all traditional Bhutanese furnishings. Outside, as the duke and duchess were led, the palace was surrounded by trees, lawns and ponds.