Chapter Eighty

The flight was long. Heading from the South Pacific to South America over the Pacific Ocean was long. There was no other way to say it. It was over twenty-four hours of traveling. The airplane went back to Australia for a fill up to Argentina for another fill up before landing in Falklands Islands. It was easier said than done.

When the airplane was up in the air, heading toward Argentina now, Meredith changed into sweatpants and climbed into the back cabin that held a bed. Books were pulled out, and she was sure that she was able to get through at least three in the pile before landing. She didn't sleep much on airplanes anyway.

Through the non-shielded windows, Meredith saw the clouds that covered the sky. Somewhere below, there was the ocean. As much as Meredith liked swimming and the ocean, right now she was just nervous. There was a lot of water underneath her, and this was the longest flight she had ever been on.

"Perhaps stay away from the windows."

Meredith nearly jumped out of her skin. Spinning around, Harry stood in the doorway. She slid down the shield. It was definitely better than looking outside.

"Did you speak to your father?"

"Yes, it was nice." Harry came inside the bedroom and closed the door. He eyed the stack of books. "You know, most people sleep on long flights."

She gave him a look. "You can sleep all you like." Standing on the airplane, she felt as it vibrated. Her knees quaked. Her stomach felt ready to clench, all the contents to be spilled up on the floor. Meredith preferred not to do. She rolled into the bed.

Harry slipped in beside her. "Jessica has some good drugs if you want to be knocked out."

Her stomach clenched again.

"Or not," he said, noticing her discomfort. Harry wrapped his arms around her, and she moved into them. "Are you feeling sick?"

"Yes." She didn't know if it was from being pregnant or it was from the airplane. Meredith got motion sick easily, and long flights weren't a great process for her.

The airplane trembled, and Meredith gripped her husband tightly. Harry let out a chuckle before holding his wife just a bit better, whispering that it was all safe, just some turbulence and airplanes were incredibly safe. Meredith knew that they were safe, but it didn't stop her from not feeling well.

When the airplane stopped shaking, Meredith sighed. "Question, Harry."

"Yes, Mere?"

"Do you have to be separate with flying, like presidents do?"

Harry chuckled.

"So, that's a no?"

"No."

"That's a yes."

"What?"

Harry explained, "We don't have to because we're not that close to the crown. However, Granny and Pa can't be together, same with Pa and Wills can't be together. It's not like George can travel alone, so George and Wills travel together."

"Hmm." It all seemed a little too weird, but she guessed it was the only way to keep it going. However, she wasn't able to remember the last time that it was needed. "Apparently, times haven't changed."

"Let's hope they have." Harry preferred if people didn't kill royals like they used to. He preferred his and his wife's safety. "We're also going to the Falkland Islands. Let's hope things have changed." 

In the 1982, from April to June, Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands in attempt to take over the islands. The British government sent a naval task force to fight the Argentine Navy and Air Force. The conflict lasted 74 days, and it only ended when Argentina surrendered. The islands were returned to British control. In 74 days, three Falkland Islanders, 255 British military personnel and 649 Argentine military personnel died. To this day, Argentina claimed that the Falkland Islands were theirs, while the British believed that they were theirs. The Falkland Islands had been a British colony since 1841. Most citizens of the Falkland Islands were mostly descendants of British settlers, and they favored British sovereignty. Tensions, thankfully, decreased in 1989 after a meeting in Madrid.