Chapter Seven

Jessica quizzed Meredith again on topics around the world, and again, Meredith knew them all. If Jessica expected this to be difficult Meredith, she messed with the wrong person. At university, she did graduate with a minor in political science. Meredith kept her eyes on the news much better than Harry did, but he did deal with the media more than she did. Usually there was a story about him or someone else in the family on the news.

"And what about the situation in China?" Jessica prompted.

"No comment."

"And the situation in Kenya?"

"No comment."

"And the President of the United States of America?"

"No comment."

Jessica smiled.

Meredith kept her lips zipped tightly, like nothing could escape, even though she definitely had her own thoughts about every situation that had been brought up in the past few days. Harry, too, was tested on these situations, not like Meredith, though.

As the wife of the Duke of Windsor-- because she couldn't be seen as his equal as the Duchess of Windsor in some of these places-- Meredith had to get to know all the players. While the closer they got to every country became a new test and a new game to know all these people, Meredith didn't have trouble keeping her head straight until it came to lower level officials.

"Next," Jessica moved on, and Meredith continued to feel like she was back in university.

Even as her gaze trailed off into the curtained windows, at least she was able to pretend she was doing something else. Since coming back to London, she had been in seclusion, either at Kensington Palace or at Buckingham Palace. It had been learn, learn and learn. Meredith had been kept inside, not even allowed to go to events.

"Are you paying attention?" Jessica snapped.

"Yeah--"

"Yes," Jessica correct.

Meredith's eyes narrowed but at least she didn't roll her eyes. "You said 'The culture of certain places can be very complicated, and with a past like ours, it is best that we keep our head down and follow cultural norms.'" Meredith knew this line well with how much Jessica pushed it, which made the duchess believe that her home sectary didn't trust her decision making.

Jessica, apparently didn't like the tone, and she became even more serious. "You leave in a few days, your highness. People will be watching you, which it will be very hard to get one moment of peace. When you do-- and those are planned out-- you will most likely still be watched."

"I understand that, Jessica, but freaking me out is not going to help the situation," Meredith responded. "If you're calm, I'm calm-- or at least calmer."

After the teaching was over, Meredith trudged upstairs to her room. Jessica bid her farewell, but the duchess was too busy climbing into bed. Harry was out, but Meredith didn't remember where. For now, she curled up into bed and tried to take a nap.

Excitement filled her to on this journey, to meet many people and learn, but at every step, people warned against this excitement. Hard work, as Meredith knew, had the ability to be fun as well. This wasn't what people thought here. She was used to hard work, having done it all while growing up with multiple jobs, especially when she was in university.

All of this was normal, except for the cameras and screaming people. Yet, it seemed like people didn't think she could do it. Jessica had the best of intentions, but it felt like she purposely made sure Meredith was a certain way. Granted, Meredith represented the monarchy and not herself, but even then, Meredith had it under control.

Without even realizing it, Meredith had fallen asleep, and she awoke with a kiss being placed on her head. She yawned, opening her eyes to find Harry in front of her. He slipped off his jacket and then rolled into bed with her.

"We should order take away," she mumbled, putting her head against his chest.

Harry shivered. "You're freezing." Pulling a blanket up around them, he agreed that was a good choice. "What are you thinking?"

"Fish and chips."

Harry smiled. "That's exactly what I had in mind."

"How was your thing today?" Meredith tried to remember what it was, but it surely wasn't an event. All of those were saved for abroad.

"Wills is good," Harry laughed. "It was just a meeting at Buckingham with some other people in the family and the home secretaries."

"About what?"

Meredith felt him still, but he still told her anyway. "We're going to be gone for a while, Mere, and I hope nothing happens, but just in case, this meeting was decide how things should be handled. Obviously we would come back right away, but that means the rest of the tour would be postponed."

"In case what happens?"

"An accident, or a death-- something that no one foresees," he explained. "There just needs to be a plan in place in an emergency."

Meredith nodded, and she felt him relax into the bed again. "So it was a long and stressful day, you might say?"

"Yes." His arms tightened around her. His thumb glided back and forth against her skin. "How was your day?"

"Not as stressful. Jessica was testing me again."

"By now, you have all the information. You're just as prepared as Granny at this point."

"Now, now, she has a few years on me." Meredith smiled, knowing she was way down the list at being prepared like Queen Elizabeth II was, but Meredith wanted to be. The Queen had extra help with the red box she received every morning, but Meredith didn't want the red box every morning-- neither did Harry.

"We should probably send Bill out now," Harry said, "if we want to get food before the rush." Trying to get out of bed didn't work as Meredith pulled him back into her, not wanting him to leave yet. Harry laughed. "Come on. Don't you want to eat?"

"I do, but I rather spend more time with you in this bed." Meredith smiled mysteriously.