Chapter Ninety-Four

The Californian sun shone down. In the two days that Harry and Meredith were going to be on official business in the United States of the America, the couple was going to visit California, New York and Washington D.C. Meredith knew very well the fly-over states that didn't get any recognition; Minnesota, her home state, was one of those. However, after the U.S. and Canada, then it was home to Minnesota. Harry looked forward to being back in London, but Meredith longed for Minnesota. Now that she was so close, it felt like she was able to smell the fresh air. The Californian air was half sea salt and half exhaust, depending on what way the wind blew.

Black gates curled up the side of the mansion on the hills outside of Los Angeles. From this height, it was easy to see out to the vast Pacific Ocean, where it was only a little over a week ago that they crossed. The time passed weirdly now. Southern California brought the heat to Meredith always, having traveled here since a child, but spring had sprung. Somewhere along the way, it was almost summer soon.

The white curtains blocked the view from the outside, and the glare added to the mystery. Down below, between all the high palm trees, paparazzi with their long camera lenses pointed up toward the balcony. Meredith wished to be there but was shuttered inside because of the lack of privacy. It made her wonder how Harry and her had gotten away with it a few years back. Perhaps, it was because no one had expected them so public. Those were midnight, ocean kisses then.

Harry came to stand beside his wife and look out the window. He gave her a morning kiss. Times had changed. "Observing them?" he mused.

"I have to give them a taste of their own medicine." Meredith had watched the paparazzi while she was at university. She never had a camera to shoot them, but she kept the memories.

"Do you want anything to eat before we go?"

"Not particularly." Meredith smoothed down the brightly colored dress. It was too much for her taste, but she was going to be easily picked out of a crowd. "I just want to get this day moving." She moved away from the window.

"Are you missing Minnesota that much?" he asked.

"Yes-- but we're also in the endgame. We're almost there. We can feel the freedom of a few days off, of going back to reality, of going home," she listed only a few of the things. "This has been a wonderful tour. I have many memories that I will never forget. I will hold each of our visits closely to my heart." Meredith recited the words from one of the speeches she said, but she did mean them-- even though her normal speaking habits weren't as sweet. "But I'm tired; I'm moody; I'm always hungry but can never get good fish and chips."

Harry laughed.

"They're never greasy enough," she explained, and then she continued on with her list, "I want my bed-- and my stuff-- and my books-- and my own closet." Meredith looked down at the dress, and the color gave her a massive headache. "I want that dog that was promised me. I want to walk without cameras flashing in my face. I really want to drink a beer, but I'm not going to get that last one." She didn't think she was going to miss beer that much. If she had known she was going to get pregnant, then she was probably going to choose one last beer for a long time.

All the items listed seemed trivial, and in many ways, they were. However, these were just some of the things she had been missing over the past few months. She had missed her friends and her family, but she didn't see those things all the time. She missed the comfort of what she knew so well. Every day was a change, and historically, Meredith wasn't good with that.

Sighing, she kissed her husband on the cheek and then went to put on her shoes.

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor stepped out into the public eye with smiles on their faces. They were beauty and grace. The duke looked to have a history of starring roles in blockbuster action movies, and the duchess resembled one of the Golden Age of Movies' actress who had several important and prominent awards. In the golden sunlight, it was like the duchess wore a halo for a tiara. Her skin was aglow.

When she started this tour, the duchess was clumsy and hesitant. It was easy to see that she didn't know what she was doing and how uncomfortable she was under all the attention. In the beginning, the flashes of cameras startled her. She fell over and off things. There were many cameras there to watch every mess up. Apparently, princess training had given her nothing to take with her.

However, over time, the Duchess of Windsor had turned into a formidable duchess. She grew into America's Princess, even if she didn't like that fake title. Over the past few months, it was easy to see her become comfortable, relaxed and-- even-- amazing at the position. She rivaled every other duchess or princess. The duchess charmed people, laughed with people, wowed people.  She was not an American girl that many people thought Prince Harry was just going to have a fling with; she was a woman, who had the ability to move mountains, touch the sky and kick ass.

At the Beverly Hills Hilton, people-- paparazzi and the general public-- had lined up inside as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor passed. Bright flashes came from the cameras, and neither of the royals batted an eyelash. Not for a single second did the duchess' smile falter. A velvet rope and a few security guards offered the only line for people not to cross. Then again, neither of the royals made a move toward the people in this case.

The duke and duchess attended the Variety's Venture Capital and New Media Summit at the Hilton. The event dealt with many topics from trade to women in media. The duke and duchess met with many people in the industry. However, many of the people there were to support the British industries.

The duke and duchess took the stage in push white chairs to speak about American and British trade investments and the history between the two great nations. In the audience, there were a few ambassadors and then businesswomen and men. The duchess sat in the middle with her husband on the other side. 

In the afternoon, the Duke and Duchess arrived at Hancock Park, which was the home of the British Consulate General. The duke and duchess were greeted by the Consul-General outside, where the last of the official photographs were taken.

Inside, in the large garden, the duke and duchess were met with a private reception filled with Hollywood and British celebrities. Tables covered in white clothes and red roses filled the area as soft orchestra music played off in the distance. The duke saw some of his old Hollywood and British celebrity friends, such as David Beckham. As for the duchess, while she had met some celebrities, she didn't have quite the introduction or history as her husband did.

At the private reception, the governor of California gave a speech, starting it off by saying, "No, I am not Arnold Schwarzenegger. Did you guys know that our old governor and the Duchess of Windsor attended the same college in Wisconsin? At different times, of course." The crowd chuckled.

The rest of the night went as such.