Chapter 20

Thunder clapped as Paris and Ariel rushed several middler schoolers into the mess hall. It was midday, right after lunch, and it was raining. The middler school groups had combined for the day and were supposed to be at recreation, but the rain ruined the plans. Things had been moved around all day, and even though they were workibg side by side, Paris and Liam had barely spoke a word to each other.

The middler schoolers sat down in a huddle on the mess hall floor. Paris and Ariel stood in front of them, trying to figure out what to do. All of a sudden, they heard a beep and the sound of plastic wheels rollibg across the linoleum floor.

Everyone turned to see Louis sitting on top, not in, a playskool car and Liam pushing him out of the huge supply closet. Ariel grinned. Most of the kids were wide eyed. Paris raised an eyebrow.

"Beep beep!" Louis screeched. "Coming through!"

"Um, whats going on?" a girl asked.

"Well," Louis explained. "Liam and I went into the supply closet to.find something to do, and I saw this beauty and it screamed at me. Literally, it screamed 'ride me, ride me' " Louis entertained in a squeaky voice, "and I couldn't pass up the oppertunity. So I did."

"Yeah, um, there's alot of these little kid cars and tricycles in there" Liam pointed out. "Why?"

Paris thought for a second. "It must be for the day camp we offer for preschoolers."

"You guys have a day camp?" Liam asked.

"WHAT?" Louis yelled, cupping his hands around his unbandaged ear. "YOU HAVE A DEAD LAMP? CHANGE THE LIGHTBULB!"

The kids laughed. Ariel rolled her eyes, positive he originally heard what Paris had said, but was using his injury to earn some laughs. Paris frowned at him, feeling slightly guilty. Liam ignored him.

"Jake's mom and my mom watch group of preschoolers during the day" Paris informed.

"Then why have we never seen them here?" Liam asked, curiously.

"WHAT? WHERE'S A DEER?" Louis yelled, earning more laughs.

"Its only for a few hours and its only on certain days" Paris informed. "You've probably seen them, but its not a large group so you probably didn't even realize who they were."

Liam shrugged. Then they heard a crash. They turned to see the playskool car turned on its side and Louis on the ground at Ariel's feet.

"Don't mind me, just in my second.accident of the week" Louis teased, holding his ear.

"Louis!" Paris whined.

"Hey everyone!" Liam distracted the group. "Go get a plastic car or a tricycle and go have some fun!"

"Run? What?" Louis cried.

"Shut up Louis!" Ariel scolded before makeing a mad dash for the supply closet. She re-emerged riding a plastic tricycle that resembled a police car. She steered it around. "Vroom! ArrrrrrrrooooArrrrrrrr!" she squealed like a siren.

Louis grinned, stood up and grabbed his playskool car. He climbed onto the roof. "Liam! Make thyself useful and push me around!"

"How about I push you into a wall?" Liam threatened and gave.the car a.hard shove. Louis screamed as the.car headed for the wall.

"Liam!" Paris scolded.

"Crap, look Paris, I-" Liam was cut off by a girl zooming by on a My Little Pony tricycle.

"Paris! Race me!" the girl ushered. Paris grinned and went to grab a bike. Ariel met her inside the supply.room.

"So, have you and Liam talked?" Ariel asked.