Chapter 22

"This is boring" a kid complained.

"I'm tired" another one whined.

"Ew! A bug!" a girl shrieked, causing a group of boys to snicker at her.

"How much further?" a fourth grade boy groaned.

"If you ask again, we'll all turn around and hike back to camp and you can forget the bonfire!" Jackie snapped.

"But it's the best part of camp!" a fifth grade girl protested.

"Then you should stop complaining!" Jackie mimicked her tone.

Paris chuckled. "Okay everyone, stop antagonizing Miss Jackie" she instructed. Jackie shot her an irritated glance. Paris shrugged. "Why don't we sing a song to pass the time?"

Jackie sckowled at her. "What do we suggest we sing?"

Paris hesitated for a second before grinning. "I WANT TO BE AN AIR BORN RANGER!"

"SHUT UP!" Jackie barked. Paris cackled at Jackie's irritation and at the memory of the previous night. The counselors had stayed up to watch The Breakfast Club after the kids had gone to sleep and Louis and Niall had chased Jackie around the mess hall, screaming the lyrics to Air born ranger. Needless to say, Jackie woke up in a bad mood and definatley was not happy to hear that song.

It was the annual campwide hike/bonfire and Paris and Jackie had both taken charge of the fourth and fifth graders. The camp had been spil into five groups, each for a the five paths up Dogwood Mt, which was really just a huge hill. Each path was equal distance to the top, and each group was racing to get there first. At the top of the "mountain", there was a flat, grassy area with a bonfire pit and a waterfall that flowed into a little spring. Alice had also arranged for several bouncy houses to be set up there. 

Ariel and Tiffani had teamed up and were leading a group of third graders to the top, on a different path. So far, the walk had been pleasent.

"Are we lost?" a little boy asked.

"No sweetie" Ariel assured him. "We aren't lost."

"Are you sure?" the little boy asked.

"Yes sweetie. "Tiffani and I have hiked this trail before. We know exactly where we are going."

The little boy was silent for a moment. "What if we get lost?" he asked.

"We won't get lost" Ariel sighed.

"But what if we do? Will we die?" the pessimistic little boy asked.

Ariel's eyes widened. "We are not going to get lost and we are most certainly not going to die" she groaned.

"But we could!" the little boy protested. "We could get lost and then run out of food and then get eaten by bears! Are there any bears on this mountain?"

"You know what? Yes!" she lied to the little boy. "Yes, there are bears on this mountain and they are going to attack us. I know because I made a pact with them this morning and the truth is, I'm not leading you up to the top of this mountain to have some fun, but I'm actually leading you to your death! Sorry!"

The little boy stood wide eyed and then started crying. Ariel groaned and face palmed herself. The little boy begain flailing his arms and running around in circles.

"Ariel!" Tiffani scolded. "Little kids do not understand sarcasm!"

"Yeah, tell me about it" the redhead mumbled.

Meanwhile, with Harry and Louis.....

Louis and Harry hiked along the path with a group mainly made out of high school girls, who were crushing on the two. It was quite awkward, but the boys shrugged it off, used to the attention. They told cheesy jokes to pass the time.