Chapter 23

By the time Liam and Mitch's group arrived at the top of Mt. Dogwood, the other groups had been there for some time. Kids were running around everywhere and counselors were trying to keep them occupied with various activities. As promised, there were three inflatables set up: one mega slide, a long obstacle course, and a normal bouncy house. Kali was timing kids on the obstacle course while Niall was watching kids on the slide. Louis was supervising the kids at the bouncy house by jumping with them.

In the middle of the lawn there was a huge bonfire pit set up with several logs and hay bails, along with some towels and blankets, were set up around it. Near the bonfire pit was a patio that had been makeshifted into an outdoor kitchen, with three grills on it. Harry, Tiffani, and Zayn were helping Mr. Kennedy, Mr. Jerry, and Mr. Slaytor grill hotdogs and hamburgers.

On the other side of the lawn, opposite of the bouncy houses, Liam could see the waterfall and spring, slightly hidden by some trees. In the grassy area, Jackie was leading an intense game of "Red Light, Green Light". Closer to the fire pit, Ariel was tossing around a frisbee to some kids. A little further down, Paris and Jake were engaged in a large game of "Duck, Duck, Goose."

"Well look who decided to join us?" Alice asked through her megaphone. She cackled as she teased the boys for being late.

All of the kids in their group ran off to join different activities, leaving Mitch and Liam to stand awkwardly by themselves. Mitch let out a nervous chuckle while Liam just bit his lip. Liam caught sight of Paris as she waved at him, but just as he waved back, she was tapped on the head by an anxious sixth grader and had to immediatly jump up and chase after them.

It was Tiffani who approached the boys first. "Did ya'll get lost or something?" she asked.

The two looked at each other. "Something like that" Mitch answered before wrapping his arms around her.

She grinned. "Did you work out your differences?"

Liam frowned at her as she giggled. Mitch answered once again. "What are you talking about?" he scoffed. "Liam and I are best mates, isn't that right?" he held out his hand.

Liam chuckled nervously and shook Mitch's hand. "Yep, we get along swimmingly."

Tiffani rolled her eyes at the two. "Whatever. Anyways, just pick an activity to be involved in. Someone should really help Louis though" she stated looking at the bouncy house, where Louis was being ambushed by a group of third graders.

"I think that sounds like fun" Mitch grinned and kissed Tiffani on the cheek before skipping off. Tiffani blushed and immediatly put her hand up to her cheek. Liam raised an eyebrow at her.

"Don't say a word until you've properly asked Paris out" she snapped before turning on her heel and stalking off.

Later that night, when the sun had started to set and kids were eating their food around the campfire, Liam took Paris's hand and led her towards the spring so that they could have some privacy.

"What's going on?" Paris asked, confused.

"I need to ask you something, but I couldn't ask it out there in front of everyone" he admitted. She raised and eyebrow at him. He bit his lip and nervously looked at the waterfall. "Pretty, isn't it?"

Paris sighed. "Is that really what you wanted to ask me?" 

He snapped his focus back to her. "No, no, no. I-I" he hesitated.

"Liam just spit it out" she encouraged.

He swallowed. "I really like you Paris; like really like you." She stared at him with an unreadable expression. It made him nervous. "And, I-" he paused. "Someone told me that you liked me too. Do you?"