Four (Teo)

A miracle.

It really did happen. A miracle.

That sudden gust of wind, that paper landing on my hand, and winning the grand prize in that impossibly unfair roulette twice, all of those are miracles. No doubt.

The greatest miracle that day, though, was me finding the courage to say those words to Damien.

If I haven't said them, then nothing would have changed between us.

He was so moody, he wasn't usually like that. Damien is the nicest person I know. I wonder what happened. There's really nothing much that would make him tick.

I was right, though. I left a bad impression on him because of that incident at the elevator. He thinks of me as a brat, that's the worst.

"Hey, you idiot!" Clark smacked Damien at the back. "Stop scaring the freshman."

"That stings." Damien glared at Clark.

"Wha-what?" Clark backed away. "Just cook for him, it won't kill you."

Damien clicked his tongue as he glared back at me. He's scary when angry.

Damien got back to his work with Elisse and didn't give me any attention. Sure, I wished to be close to him again, but not like that.

There's nothing more painful than being hated by Damien.

"Not bad... Nice move Matt." Axel patted my shoulders.

He was milking it. I know how stupid it was to call myself Matt. No one calls me that, but I panicked. That cookie girl, Elisse was just so close to Damien and I got really annoyed, and I wanted to get back at Damien.

Besides, I didn't want to formally reunite with him while he obviously disliked me.

Though, I kept on wondering; if I told him who I am back then, would he stop disliking me?

Axel and I decided to hang out at the org room that afternoon. We also helped them prepare for the upcoming recruitment week.

Elisse was stuck to Damien the whole time, partly because they were working on the leaflets together, but partly because that cookie girl just wants to be close to him. I was really reaching my breaking point, I wanted to pry them apart. Thankfully, someone called Elisse and she had to go out for a while.

"You're not bad, Axel." James said. Axel took over lettering the banner from Clark. "Clark could never do that even if he stays all night."

"Everyone already knows how bad my handwriting is, alright." Clark complained. He was a defiant one.

"I can help you." Axel told Clark. "You just need some practice. I know some tricks that could help."

What are you planning now, Axel? You're not one to offer his help without anything in return.

"That sounds like a chore, I'm gonna pass." Clark said.

"That's too bad. If you change your mind, you know where to find me. I won't ask for anything big return, just a small favor."

Clark scoffed. "So you do want something in return."

"Of course, nothing is free anymore."

Hearing him say that made me remember Peter, "It's free to dream and to love, but hating takes a toll on you." He used to always say that.

Suddenly I could feel eyes staring at me. I turned my head and even Damien was looking at me. What is this? Did I say something wrong? Why are they staring at me? Darn it, I said those out loud.