Thirty Five (Clark)

James had been acting strange. He was exchanging messages with someone non-stop and I could see his forehead furrow every time he would not get a reply on time. A few times, I even heard him talking over the phone.

"Where are you? Who are you with? Are you meeting her again?" I had never heard him that possessive before.

Was he dating someone? How come I've never heard of it?

"Who was that?" I asked him as we walked towards the AMV Building.

"No one in particular." He replied vaguely.

"Really? How come you sounded so possessive?"

"Was I?"

"Yeah, you sounded like a jealous lover. You're not dating anyone, are you? I mean, it would hurt me if you are and you haven't told us about it." I teased him.

"How can I even think about dating? I'm engaged, Clark. Even if it's against my will, it would still be unfair to anyone I would date." James replied.

"That's the problem with you, you always put other people's well-being before your own."

"Sometimes I need to think about myself. There's nothing wrong about being selfish once in a while." He continued. "Someone said exactly the same thing to me."

"And who is that?" I asked him, hoping to get even a little bit of information from him.

"No one in particular." He replied again.

"Come on, James, at least give me something." I complained.

"Where is Damien, is he with Teo already?" He immediately changed the topic.

Every time Teo is around, or even if just his name would come up in a conversation, I would notice James' mood getting brighter. He's always with a smile when Teo is involved, that's why I was so sure that he was into Teo.

Then this secret lover came along, and I don't anymore. I mean, Teo still makes him smile, but someone else was making him very possessive.

He was exhibiting two classic characteristics of a person in love, just in two different people. I never pegged him as polyamorous, but I was beginning to think just that.

"I hope we catch that stalker soon before he could anything to harm Teo." I said out of pure concern for him.

"If that creep does anything to hurt Teo, I would kill him." James wasn't joking, I could tell that. His eyes were so filled with anger just by the thought of Teo getting hurt.

He's really confusing. He never said anything about liking Teo, and he never even did anything big to show it, but his smile and the way he worries about him... those are enough to know what he really feels.

I got a message from Axel, "Hurry up, we have an emergency," it read.

"What's wrong? What happened?" I replied.

"Peter's doppelganger." Axel replied shortly.

I turned my head to James and looked back at my phone instantly. He was still unaware about the new tenant across Teo and Axel's unit. Not only does the man looked exactly like Peter, they even share the same name.

It was not just uncanny, it was weird, creepy, and very scary.

When we arrived at the restaurant, everything seemed fine, except Teo was very quiet.

"Axel, let's buy some milk tea." I told him as an excuse to talk to him in private.

He told me what happened as we bought our drinks. "How can such coincidence happen? First, he looks like Peter, then they even share the same first name, he lives across the hall, and now he's a professor in our department?" Axel complained.