Thirty Nine (Clark)

It was hard to admit, but Nelson had a point.

I watched in horror as Marissa made Axel uncomfortable with her attempt of flirtatious advances. "I don't get it..." I muttered. "Why would Marissa do something like that...?" The thought made me sad because I was hoping that I would regain a lost friend, but apparently, I was mistaken. "Don't tell me, is it because of you again?"

"Marissa and I had been in an on-again-off-again relationship for the past years, but when I met you again..." Nelson said.

"Stop it." I told him. "I don't know what kind of wicked games you two are trying to play with me, but I don't want any part of it." I told him. I turned my eyes to the pool table and saw Marissa leaning close to Axel as he took his shot.

Impatience got the best of me. I left our table in anger and walked towards the pool table. "Can I play too?" I said as I took a cue stick hanging on the wall

"Sure, why don't you take a turn?" Marissa said.

As I walked towards the table to take a turn, Marissa walked towards Axel. There was music playing at the bar, but it wasn't too loud that we couldn't hear each other. That's why I was sure she was trying to flirt with Axel when she leaned closer to him just to say something.

I must've used too much force because the pool balls scattered around, but it served its purpose as it gotten their attention.

"What are you doing?" Axel said with a chuckle as he walked away from Marissa and stood to my side. "We're playing billiards, not bowling." He suddenly wrapped his arm around my neck and pulled me closer.

To my surprise, Axel suddenly kissed my cheek.

My cheeks burned and my heart started thumping so hard. It's not like we haven't done anything more than that, but it was the first time that he kissed me in public.

We played for a while until our food was served on our table.

"Axel, how are you adjusting here in the Philippines? Isn't it a bit too hot for you?" Marissa asked him.

"I'm fine with it." Axel replied shortly.

"That's great." Marissa said. "Here, taste this, it's one of my favorite dish here." She said as she placed a spoonful on Axel's plate.

"Ummm... thanks..." Axel said in an awkward manner.

"Have you met Clark's parents yet?" Marissa asked all of a sudden that it made me choke on my food.

"Are you alright? Here drink this?" Axel said as he handed me his glass of water.

"I'll take that as a no, then." Marissa said with a grin. "Why haven't you introduced him to your parents yet, Clark? Don't tell me, they still disapprove of..." Her tone was smug and mocking.

"Marissa..." Nelson called her.

"Clark's father is really strict and scary." She continued. That was true. Though my Mom had come to accept my preference, my Dad was still a bit reprehensive about it. "If you want any tips on how to get on his good side, you can call me anytime. Or better yet, ask Nelson." She said.

"Why would I ask him?" Axel glared at Nelson as his mood turned sour when Marissa mentioned Nelson.

"Don't you know, Nelson is really close to Clark's Dad, well before things blew up?" Marissa continued.

It seems that trying to flirt with Axel wasn't the only thing in her agenda. She was also trying to make a rift between me and Axel. She knew how much Axel dislikes Nelson, and she was using that to her advantage.