Forty Seven (Clark)

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked Axel. We were on the bus on our way to my hometown, and I was worried that he was having a hard time commuting.

"I'm fine." Axel replied. "Actually, this is quite exciting for me."

"Really? I mean, it would've been fine if you declined my offer..."

"But you seem to really want to spend Christmas with me. I just couldn't say no to you." Axel told me with a smile.

I smiled back at him. I was trying to hide it, but I was really happy to spend Christmas with him. "My house isn't that luxurious... You can't play your games, and there are no big malls there..."

"It doesn't matter to me. As long as you're there, I'm sure I'll have fun." Axel replied. "Lend me your shoulder, I'm getting sleepy." He said as he leaned his head to my shoulder.

After about another hour on the road, we finally arrived at my hometown. Although it wasn't summer, the air was a bit humid and I was starting to worry that Axel would feel uncomfortable.

"Are you okay?" I asked Axel as we waited for my cousin Bernie to pick us up.

"Stop worrying about me." Axel told me with a smile. "Look, I'll be honest, no matter how good or bad I find your place, it would never change how I see you."

We didn't wait long for Bernie. He fetched us using his beloved old pick-up truck.

"Why did you use this junk? Your AC is not even working." I complained to him as he drove.

"Hey, don't talk about my baby like that." He complained. "Be thankful you even got to ride my truck, your Papa wanted me to bring Klinton instead."

"What?!"

"Who's Klinton?" Axel asked.

"Our carabao." I replied.

"Your father wanted to pick us up using your carabao?" Axel sounded puzzled.

"Well, Clark here didn't actually say who he was bringing along with him, and his parents were worried that he might bring Nelson with him..."

"Hey, why did you bring that guy up...?" I complained as I saw Axel's expression turned sour.

"They hate Nelson." Bernie added, which brightened up Axel's mood.

Axel is simple-minded and transparent, and I quite like it. I know exactly what he feels, and I don't even have to guess or doubt.

We arrived at my place and Axel had a smirk as he shook his head. "Clark, I thought you said your house wasn't luxurious." He said.

"I did." It really wasn't. It was an old two storey house sitting in a piece of land.

"Yeah, but you forgot to mention that it is sitting in the middle of an enormous piece of land." He added.

"We're a farmer family, Axel, we need land to farm." I told him.

"So, they're all waiting inside." Bernie told us. "I suggest you two stay close to each other... You know what, why don't you stand behind Clark as you come in."

"Why...?" Axel asked.

"Yeah, what's happening?" I asked as well.

"Your Papa took out his bolo before I fetched you two."

"Ohh god..." I sighed.

"What's a bolo?" Axel asked me.

"A machete." Bernie replied with a smirk.