Twenty Eight (Teo)

For the first time in my entire life, I would be celebrating my birthday away from my family, but it would also be the first birthday I celebrate with Damien, my greatest love, and my boyfriend.

Wow, saying that is enough to send butterflies flying in my stomach.

I didn't know how to feel about my birthday, honestly. I miss my family, but also I'm excited to be with Damien.

Needless to say, the fourteenth of November that year was the most complicated day - yet - in my entire life. Emotionally, I mean.

The day started very normally, uneventful even. I woke up, showered, ate my breakfast, and then went to class. My friends greeted me, and I promised to treat them.

Axel didn't make a huge fuss out of the whole thing, he knew better than that. Every year, I celebrated my birthday with the people I care about, and I didn't like making a huge spectacular about it.

I know it's the one day of the year I could ask for all the attention, but I don't like having all the attention, I like being surrounded by people that love me, and not a day goes by that they do not make me feel loved.

So for me, my birthday is just any other day.

Well, the only person allowed to actually make a fuss on my birthday is Kuya Martin. He would prepare elaborate surprises and extravagant gifts, and I got used to them. Every time I would tell him to stop doing that, he would sulk, so I just let him.

Things only got exciting, or should I say crazy, after class.

"So, birthday boy." Axel said with a smile. "Are you ready for what's in store for you this day?" He asked.

"Axel, I told you, I don't like..." I complained.

"I'm not the one who planned the whole thing, though." He said with a smile.

"Whole thing? Axel, what are you talking about?" I asked him. I was worried about a big celebration. I know everyone dreamed of having one in their life, but since it entails having a lot of attention drawn to me, I don't want that.

The moment we stepped out of the building, I wanted to shrink embarrassment.

"Oh my god..." I sighed as my whole face burned.

Clark and James were holding a banner with 'Happy Birthday our Dearest Teo' written on it. Each side of the banner had countless balloons tied.

Then things got worst; Damien suddenly appeared holding a dozen red roses housed in a beautiful white leather box. In front of the box was my name in gold.

I tried to turn back inside the building, but Axel held me back as my friends blocked the way.

"Ohhh... How romantic." Yana said.

"I'm jealous." Reah added.

"It's hard to compete with that." Danny admitted.

"It's not like you even have someone to do that with." Gilbert teased.

I looked at Janine for help but she just smiled at me. "Just enjoy it." She said.

There's no way I can enjoy this whole thing! Everyone is looking at me! Embarrassing, this is so embarrassing!

Damien was looking at me and then chuckled as he saw my expression. He was enjoying the whole thing. He knew that I was being embarrassed, but he was enjoying it.

What is he thinking? He knows I hate these kinds of things...

He walked towards me with a smile and then leaned closer. "Happy birthday, my boyfriend..." Damien whispered in my ears.