Forty Three (Clark)

"They are persistent, aren't they?" I sighed as James and I saw his Granddad's men waiting near our condo building. It was getting late at night, and since we were both caught up in our respective school projects, we both decided to go home together. "Well, at least they aren't forcing you to go with them."

"They're not really here to force me to go back. They're here to make sure I wouldn't meet with Ethan. Granddad gave me an ultimatum; I have until the end of this semester to go home and proceed with the wedding preparations." James replied.

"What would happen if you don't come home?"

"I won't be able to go back anymore." James said nonchalantly.

"What the hell..." I was a bit surprised, but what surprised me, even more, was his attitude. "You don't seem bothered about it."

James smiled at me. "Why should I? I've never been this free in my life." He replied cheerfully.

"So, what's the real score between you and Ethan?" I asked him as we entered the building.

"I'm not sure." James replied.

"How are you not sure? Haven't you talked to him about it?" I asked him.

"Ethan is busier than ever before. I mean, he has interviews left and right. His manager was surprised how much sponsorship and love calls from magazines he is getting after the controversy he created, not to mention that most of it is from international brands." James replied. There was no doubt that Teo's mother was behind it. "Meanwhile, I have to prepare for the final exams. So, we really haven't got any time to properly talk about it." James continued.

"Alright. Let me ask just one thing, though." I told him as we entered the condo building. "Do you like Ethan?"

James turned his head on me and gave me a smile.

That was it.

That was his answer.

I braced myself when we got back to our unit. Teo went to Peter's party and I knew that it would make Damien somewhat moody, especially since he said that he needed to spend some time in the library.

Well, things were worse than I thought.

There were broken glasses on the kitchen, and there Damien's hand was bleeding.

"What the hell happened here?!" I asked as I saw the mess.

"Damien, what happened? Did you have a fight with Teo?" James added.

"What do you think?" Damien replied sarcastically.

James and I exchanged looks. "What happened?" James asked calmly as I took the first aid kit. He was a better fit to talk to Damien because I really couldn't handle Damien's temper.

He told us what happened in the elevator and he sounded really pissed off. "I told Teo to stop talking to him altogether, but he won't listen to me. He said he was curious about something and he needs to find out about it. I don't get it, what does he want to know about that guy?" Damien was losing his patience again.

"Give me your hand." I told him and I tended to his wound.

"What did you say to Teo, then?" James asked.

"I told him to do what he wants." Damien admitted. "I thought he would back down, but he's suddenly so stubborn." He sounded really pissed off.

I was sure he said that in the same tone he was speaking to us at that time. Sarcastic and angry.