Part 16 - Gemini

Peter walked me home from school that afternoon. He made up an excuse for why he couldn't hang out with Liz after school. Of course, she was unhappy but I was over the moon happy that we weren't fighting anymore. I know we were only fighting for about half a day, but it just didn't feel right without him.

Peter, Elise and I were walking down my street when a question pops into my mind.

"Hey Peter," I say

"Yeah?" He replies.

"Why are you Spider-Man?"

"Well, I was bitten by a radioactive spider and-"

I cut him off, "No, I mean what makes you want to be Spider-Man?"

Peter takes a breath, "Well, when you can do the things that I can do, but choose not to, and then something bad happens you feel like it's on you."

I look up to Peter, and he continues, "I'm just trying to look out for everyone."

I smile at him, "That's really sweet,"

Peter nods and looks down to avoid me from seeing him blushing.

We walk up to my porch and I unlock the door.

"I'm home!" I yell.

"Let's hope Mandy is stuck in her room," Elise says,

Sadly, Mandy was sitting on the couch with a bowl of ice cream watching TV.

"Why aren't you in your room?" Elise asks her.

"Mom and Dad aren't home, why not?" She smirks.

Peter and I walk into view for her to see us.

Her eyes go wide, "Wait," she puts her spoon in her bowl, "I thought you guys were fighting?"

"We were," I began, "But we made up today."

"Sorry, your plan didn't work," Elise says.

Mandy was shocked and she couldn't talk. She just sat there looking at me and back to Peter.

After about a minute she closed her mouth and straightened her posture, "Fine," She said, "but Peter will be mine before the week is over, you can count on that." She huffs, gets up and walks out of the room and upstairs.

I turn to Peter and give him a worried look, he pulled me into a hug and said, "I won't ever leave you."

His hug made me feel warm inside. Like I had just been wrapped in a heated blanket.

He pulls away, "We should get started on our homework."

"Yeah," I looked at Elise, "You go to the kitchen, I need to talk to Elise."

Peter walked away and I turned to Elise, "Listen, Peter and I's birthday is coming up."

"Oh yeah! I forgot you guys had the same birthday!"

Yes, Peter and I have the same birthday, it's weird. But every year on my birthday I would always remember Peter. I would also anonymously send Peter a little gift each year without telling anyone. I still haven't told him that it was me sending the gifts. 

"I want to do something special for his birthday, any ideas?" I ask pursing my lips.

She thinks for a moment and then shakes her head, "No, sorry."

I sigh, "OK, well, Peter is waiting for me in the kitchen, let's go."

We walked into the kitchen and studied together for an hour. Everything felt perfect and right.