Part 48 - After School

Half the school day was over and I was already exhausted. Peter kept trying to come up to me and talk but I walked away every time. I didn't want to talk to him at all.

That's a lie, I just didn't know what to say to him. I wanted to be with him, but I also wanted time to think. Why was he going to Liz's tonight? I keep telling myself it's for a project or for the Academic Decathlon, but then why would she add the winky face to the message?

The bell rang for 6th period, which I, unfortunately, have with Ned alone. Every other class I have with Ned is also with Peter so they stick together. But we got to choose our seats at the beginning of the year, so Ned and I sat next to each other.

I walked into my English classroom and saw my teacher standing at his desk looking through papers. I made my way to my seat to find that Ned was already there.

"Hey," he greeted me with a smile. I set my books down and took off my backpack before replying.

"Hi," I sat down next to him and opened my notebook, preparing for today's lesson.

He looked over at me uncomfortably and unsure of what else to say. He fiddles with the notebook pages in front of him and then looked up at the clock as if to check if he had enough time to say something.

"I'm sorry about you and Peter," He finally said.

I took a deep breath in and looked at Ned, "Did you know? About him and Liz?"

The bell rang just as Ned opened his mouth. I motioned for him to talk but our teacher cuts him off.

"All right, you will all have ten minutes of creative writing, and then I will ask some of you to share what you wrote," He sat back down at his desk working on a crossword puzzle.

"I didn't know," Ned whispered.

I rolled my eyes, "Why didn't he tell me,"

Ned looked to make sure our teacher wasn't watching, "I don't know. He's all confused and sad about everything right now. I've never seen him like this. He didn't even do any of his homework for today,"

"He really wants to talk to you, Y/N" he continues, "I know he messed up, but he still loves you, and he wants to be with you."

"When I first found out about what happened with Liz, I took my plane ticket to Florida and stormed out of his apartment," I said, "I told him I was gonna move to Florida because of him,"

"Are you?" Ned asks.

I shake my head, "I never wanted to move to Florida, Ned. I want to stay here with him, I was just upset,"

"So you're not moving?"

"I don't think my parents will agree. They want me to move," I shrug and look up at Ned who is staring at his paper.

"Why is Peter going over to Liz's house tonight?" I softly asked.

"What?" He questioned, "Oh it's just an Academic Decathlon practice. Liz told everyone to text her if they wanted to come. I'm going, and I think MJ is too."

I felt a huge weight get lifted off my body. It's like my heart just grew ten times bigger but I feel lighter. I felt hope.

"Wait, how did you know he was going over tonight?" Ned questioned.

I forgot about that part. I couldn't tell him I snuck into Peter's room, that would seem creepy, "Uh, that's not important," his eyebrows raised, "Listen can you tell Peter to meet me at my house after school before your practice?" I asked.

"S-sure," Ned stuttered.

I mouthed him thank you, and I turned away and placed my pencil on my page writing the date. Mr. Hayes got up out of his chair and stood in the front of the classroom.