Part 39 - Consequences

I woke up to my phone ringing at 3:00 AM. I turn over in my bed and grab my phone from the nightstand. It's Peter. 

I click 'answer' and put the phone up to my ear, "Yeah?' 

"Hey, are you asleep?" Peter's voice sounds tired like he just woke up. 

"Not anymore," 

"Sorry, I just couldn't sleep. I was worried about what happened at dinner." 

I turn over in my bed, "I know me too," I sigh, "But I think it's going to be OK," 

"How do you know?" He asks. 

"Peter you and I both know my dad, he's a drama queen and he'll calm down and it'll be alright," I laugh.

"I really hope so," Peter says. 

I lay there with the phone up to my ear but neither of us say anything. I try to break the silence, "Hey so did we have any chem homework --" I was interrupted by a loud scream. 

I sit up in bed and look out my window, there's nothing that I can see. Another blood curling scream rings through my eardrums. 

Peter speaks up, "Did you hear that too?" 

I run to my closet and grab my suit, "Yeah meet me on my roof in five minutes," 

I hang up and began to take off my t-shirt and shorts. I slip my suit on and put my face mask over my mouth. I grab a hair tie and put my hair up in a ponytail. 

I open my balcony door, walk out, and climb up our fire escape. I look around at the city in search of where the screams are coming from. 

I see Peter swinging through the sky. He comes closer and lands next to me. 

"Hey," I say. 

His eyes move a little as if they're adjusting for him to see, "Hey, you ready?" He holds out his hand. 

I grab his hand and hold onto him as he shoots a web into the distance and we take off. 

"So uh, any idea where the screams were coming from?" I ask. 

"Uh, no not really but--" he begins to talk but get's interrupted by another scream. 

I look down at the city as we swing around, "There!" I spot two teenage girls being cornered by a man. 

Peter shoots a web down towards where they are and we land behind them. The girls turn around, they're terrified. 

"Alright, guys come behind us," I tell them. They immediately do what I say and scurry behind me and Peter. 

I turn to the guy in front of us. He has a black mask on and he's carrying a gun. 

"OK, buddy what's going on here?" Peter takes a step closer to the masked man. 

The man uses his gun and points to the girls, "They saw me making a deal, and now they know who I am," 

"We didn't see anything!" One of the girls speaks up. 

I recognized his voice from somewhere. Peter shoots a web at the guy and knocks him down. 

He quickly gets up and raises his gun at Peter but I use my telekinesis and move his hand towards the wall. The masked man attempts to shoot at Peter but misses. 

"What the hell?" I said. 

"Why'd he shoot at you and not me?" I send a mind message to Peter. 

"I don't know!" Peter exclaims. 

I look back at the man, he starts to climb up a fire escape ladder on the side of the building. 

I look at Peter. He's talking to the girls and tells them to leave, "Spider-Man! You have to help me get up there before he does," 

Peter looks back at me and nods. He shoots a web up to the top of the building and hands me the web strand, I begin to climb up it as fast as I can, while Peter is on the ground shooting webs at the masked man. 

I climb faster than he does and makes it to the top before him. When he reaches where I'm standing he tries to shoot but on purpose misses, "Dude, what's with all these missed shots? You can obviously hit me," I question. 

He doesn't speak and looks around. He runs towards the edge of the building but I stop him and pull him back towards me, "Who are you?" I pull off his mask. 

I stand there for a minute looking at his face, "Liam?" 

"Please, just let me go," He begs. 

"Why are you doing this?" I asked. He looks at me and then switches his glance behind me as Peter swings up next to me. 

He breathes heavily, "Listen, I tried to leave town, but I had to make another deal and then those girls saw and they were going to go to the police."  

I stare at him, "Liam I'm sorry, I can't let you go this time." 

Tears form in his eyes, "Liam please, don't make this harder than it has to be," 

~~

Peter and I wait with Liam until the police arrive and take him away. Peter takes me home and makes sure I get into my house OK. My mom was gone for the night with Vincent. I say goodbye to Peter and walk in through the front door. 

I begin to walk to the stairs when a light turns on behind me, "I can't sleep because I'm worried about you getting hurt, so I turn on the news and what do I see?" 

I turn around and see my dad standing there, "I see a breaking news report of Gemini and Spider-Man fighting an armed masked man downtown at 2 AM." He finishes.

I walk towards him, "Dad listen, I'm alright. I was safe, Peter protected me." 

"Yeah but what if Peter didn't?" He asks, "You could be dead right now and you act like you don't care!" 

He takes a deep breath and runs his hands through his hair. He's wearing his pajamas but they're all crinkly like he was tossing and turning a lot in his bed. 

"Dad, of course I care. But I'm alright. I'm always alright!" I tell him. 

He puts his hand up, "Listen, I don't want you doing this. You have to stop this. I'm giving you one last chance or else." 

He turns around and begins to walk away. I call out, "Or else what?" 

He stops and slowly turns back to me, "Or else there will be consequences," 

I scoff, "Oh yeah, great punishment dad, you're really teaching me a lot!" I sarcastically reply. 

He opens the door and walks out of it without saying another word to me. 

I make my way to the living room and flop down on the couch. I grab my phone and call Peter. 

"Hello?" His voice squeaks. 

"Hey, my dad said he's giving me one last chance to quit being Gemini or else," I tell him. 

He pauses, "So what are you going to do?" 

"I don't know yet," I sigh, "I can't sleep, can you stay on the phone with me until I fall asleep?" I ask him. 

"Yeah," and Peter does. We talk for another hour before I feel myself getting sleepy. Peter notices that I slowly stop talking in the middle of my sentence. 

I'm on the verge of falling asleep but I hear Peter give a small chuckle, "Goodnight Y/N," 

Peter's voice was the last thing I hear before I fall into a deep sleep.