11: Little Moments

Erika's POV:

I really WAS grounded, but I really wanted to just be with Jake. My mom was gone at a meeting, so I stuck some pillows in my bed to make it look like I was sleeping. It was still really early, so I put a note on the fridge saying I had a headache and went to take a nap. Then I left, and walked over to Jake's house. It only took about 10 minutes. But I was kinda nervous to work on the project with Jake with his parents in the car. I hope they like me.

I got to his house, and his parents actually seemed to like me. I was glad that they were okay with me coming along. It wasn't as weird or awkward, which is good, but it's only because we're not dating, we're just friends. For now, at least. We ended up taking their minivan, but Jake and I sat in the third row so that their was a row between us and his parents. And we used the middle seat to put our laptops on.

Since we actually did have to go to a banquet, I wore a nice creme and pink colored flowy blouse, and and a black skirt that went down to right above my knees. Then I wore my hair in a cute ponytail with a few strands out, and some black 4 inch heels.

"You look really nice," Jake said.
"Oh thanks! You do to," I said. Jake was wearing a grey polo shirt with black ''jorts'' and black Nike shoes. His hair was kinda messy, it wasn't bad but it didn't look like he fixed it before we left.

In the car, we worked on the project together and we didn't get off topic too much, which is good.

We got to OSU, and the event was in a big ballroom, which was used for these types of things. Apparently it was an engineering thing, but I don't know why they needed to have a banquet for engineering. Either way, I still got to be with Jake. Him and I walked in behind his parents, and we found an empty circle table to sit at. Then Logan came up to us, and wow, him and Jake look really similar. He hugged all of his family members, and then said to Jake,
"Bro! You didn't tell me you have a girlfriend!"
"Uh, Logan, we're just friends." Jake said awkwardly.
"Oh really?" Logan winked and nudged Jake with his elbow.
"Yeah, really dude."
"Oh...well that makes sense! Who'd wanna date you right?" Logan joked.
"Ha. Ha, very funny."
"Hey, I'm Erika," I said.
"Hey! I'm Logan, this idiot's brother."
"Yeah Jake told me about you," I said, "you guys look really similar,"
"Yeah we get that a lot, but nowadays I can't really see it." Jake said.
"Yeah I can't see it anymore," Logan said.
"Okay, Erika let's go get some food."
"Bye! Nice to meet you Logan!" I said, as Jake grabbed my wrist and we walked to the food table. He got us some cupcakes, and we went back to the table. Jake's parents were talking to some people, so we we're the only ones at the table. It was in the back, and there were no lights right above us so it was kind of dim. Me and Jake sat next to each other. I wasn't sure if he was gonna bring up what Logan said when he came up to us. We ate our cupcakes and talked for a few minutes and then I dropped my napkin. Both of us reached down to get it, I grabbed it first and Jake's hand was on mine trying to get the napkin also. Then, for a split second, it seemed like he tried to lock his fingers into mine. But it was only for a millisecond, almost too short to notice, but I did. I put the napkin back on the table, and I could see Jake blushing from the corner of my eye.

Jake's POV:

Erika looked so beautiful tonight. I really wanted to kiss her while we were at the table alone. Or at least just hold hands and be close. I need to toughen up and just ask her out already. It was kinda weird when Logan assumed that we were dating, but I didn't want to bring it up and make it even more awkward than it already was. I wanted to think of something really nice and sweet to do for her, but I didn't know what. After the whole weird napkin thing I got up to ask Logan what I should do that'd be nice. But I asked Erika if it was okay to leave, and she was fine, she just checked her phone while I was gone.

I went over to Logan and told him all about Erika.

"So what should I do that's like really nice and thoughtful for her? Something I can do tonight.''
"Oh! I have an idea! Maybe just like 'accidentally' bump into her as you get up, or 'accidentally' brush your hand passed her hand. It's small, but it might help. Or just like stroke her hair in the front. That stuff would just kinda lead her on that you like her." Logan said.
"Okay, yeah I could try that. Thanks Logan," I went back and sat next to Erika.

"Hey, I got you some punch," I had two cups of punch in my hand, and set Erika's down in front of her.
"Oh, thanks!" She said, taking a sip.

Erika was still looking at her phone, and I stared at her beautiful green eyes. Then, I assumed she felt me staring, and looked at me.

"What?" She said, smiling.
"Nothing, I was just looking at your eyes. They're so pretty."
"Awh, thanks Jake, your eyes are actually really pretty too."
"What? No you're just saying that. My eyes aren't anything special,"
"No, I'm not just saying that, they ARE pretty," Erika said laughing. "Hey, do you know where the restroom is?" She also asked.
"Uh, I think it's out that door and down the hall," I said, pointing to the door.
"Ok, I'll be right back."
Erika stood up and as she did I brushed my hand passed hers, latching on to one finger before it slipped away from me.

{ Sorry, I was planning to write to the end of the event on this chapter, but once it hit 1000 words I decided to wrap it up in the next chapter. Stay tuned! It should be published tomorrow!}